I have failed to install VS '08xpress due to unknown problem.

General discussion

• Details:
    Pentium 4 HT 3 GHz
    1280 MB RAM
    Windows Vista Ultimate w/ SP1

I have tried to install MS VS 2008 Express Edition w/ SP1 using the Offline Installation DVD and the individual installers for each of the programs.  Every time, and after several different troubleshooting attempts from disabling my INet Security to activating full ADMIN Control - I have had the exact same problem.  Following is a copy of the error report, written in "Microsoftanise" (All letters, codes and 'what the *** does that mean' kind of things:

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Microsoft Visual Studio 8 Installation Error
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Visual Web Developer used as an example.

1. Install Process

Success ¬    Vis C++ Prerequisites
        Success ¬    SDK VisStudio 08 - SP1 ENU
        Success ¬    VS Web Authoring
        Success ¬    VS Web Authoring (UP)
        (STOP!)
        *    CRASH/INSTALLATION ERROR:   ALWAYS OCCURS DURING THE INSTALL OF THE MAIN VS'O8 MODULE FOR THE SPECIFIC LANGUAGE (Basic, Web Dev, C#, C++, et cetera, et cetera.

»   Description: From the generated "Send Report" details.

Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition with SP1 - ENU has encountered a problem during setup.  Setup did not complete correctly.

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:    VisualStudio8Setup
      Problem Signature 01:    5647
      Problem Signature 02:    9.0.30729.01_ORCAS_X86_NET
      Problem Signature 03:    MSI
      Problem Signature 04:    INST
      Problem Signature 05:    F
      Problem Signature 06:    NoMSI
      Problem Signature 07:    gencomp329,{12CDA52C-7A8F-4785
      Problem Signature 08:    1603
      Problem Signature 09:    -
      Problem Signature 10:    -
      OS Version:    6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
      Locale ID:    1033

Additional information about the problem:
      LCID:    1033

Read our privacy statement:
      http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

I, like I said have tried everything that I could think of, and I am sure that the answer is looking me right in the eye... but I am missing it.  Could anyone please assist me on this issue, so that I can install these packages and get back to learning how to program.

Thank you in advance for you time, efforts and assistance in helping me resolve this problem.
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 9:51 PM

All replies

• Hello,

With the information you offered, I think we still could not tell the exact reason of the installation problem.   Here setup and error logs will be more helpful to narrow down the issue.   So, would you please use this collection utility to get the whole setup and error log to us?  Upload the file %TEMP%\vslogs.cab to some server and offer us the URL.   You could easily sign up for 5GB free space at http://skydrive.live.com only with your Live Passport.

Thanks,

Best Regards,
    Lingzhi

Thursday, October 9, 2008 2:10 AM
  • We are changing the issue type to “Comment” because you have not followed up with the necessary information. If you have more time to look at the issue and provide more information, please feel free to change the issue type back to “Question” by editing your initial post and changing the radio button at the top of the post editor window. If the issue is resolved, we will appreciate it if you can share the solution so that the answer can be found and used by other community members having similar questions.

Thank you!

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 1:12 AM