none
two relations with the same dim table RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I need a suggestion.

I need to create a tabular model with ssas but in a fact table I have two relations with the same dimension (time).

How is it best to handle this?
    Duplicating the dimensions table ?

Thanks

Monday, July 22, 2019 7:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can duplicate dimensions or you can use the DAX function UseRelationship to activate relationships.

Have a look to this article : https://radacad.com/userelationship-or-role-playing-dimension-dealing-with-inactive-relationships-in-power-bi

Ousama EL HOR

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer"  of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful"  button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

[User Page]     [MSDN Page]     [Blog]     [Linkedin]

Monday, July 22, 2019 7:34 AM
  • Thank you for your answer.

The model must then be used by business users without dax knowledge, so i prefer to excluded to use UseRelationship but duplicate the tables seemed to me an "unclear" solution.

At power bi level I need to leave both time dimensions available and users may not understand.

Thanks

Monday, July 22, 2019 8:08 AM
  • Thank you for your answer.

The model must then be used by business users without dax knowledge, so i prefer to excluded to use UseRelationship but duplicate the tables seemed to me an "unclear" solution.

At power bi level I need to leave both time dimensions available and users may not understand.

Thanks

Hi ABpower83,

Thanks for your reply.

Using function UseRelationship is not the only solution for such situation. You could import time dimension table twice, or you could create two views for time table in database. For more details, please see:

Role-playing Dimension in SSAS Tabular Models

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 22, 2019 9:57 AM
  • Thanks for your reply,
    what I have done is create two views for the time dimension but i would like to better understand the problem before deploy the model.

In particular I have to do some tests for pbi analysis.

Thanks a lot

Monday, July 22, 2019 1:03 PM
  • Thanks for your reply,
    what I have done is create two views for the time dimension but i would like to better understand the problem before deploy the model.

In particular I have to do some tests for pbi analysis.

Thanks a lot

OK. After you finished test for the model and haven't come across abnormal issue again, please kindly close the thread by marking useful reply as answer.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 6:58 AM