none
SQL Import/export wizard using excel and this error: The ‘Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.16.0’ provider is not registered on the local machine. (System.Data) RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to use  SQL server import/export tool and data source excel and get this error:
    The ‘Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.16.0’ provider is not registered on the local machine. (System.Data)

I have SSMS 18, (it was working the same in sql 17.9, was thinking upgrading may help), Windows 10, 64 bit office 365.

I have installed Access Database Engine x64.exe (multiple times).

I try to change the excel version in the wizard and I get the same message but it references”…OLEDB.12.0″, “…OLEDB.15.0” and this is for Excel 2016

At a loss and hoping for assistance.

I  have tried multiple things by researching what others are doing but to no avail. I need this functionality to work.
    Currently, I’m relying on one person who is not getting this error (he has 32 bit office and I have 64 bit) but he is going on vacation and I need to be able to do the tasks using import/export wizard. I don't think the answer is rolling back to 32 bit for this one task to work.

Friday, August 30, 2019 7:53 PM

Answers

• I believe that worked. I got past the message. The only thing is an error on converting data types but not sure if related. A colleague and I are looking tomorrow.

However, for anyone else having this issue and on 64 bit-everything and getting this message.  DOWNLOAD THE Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistibutable>Access Database Engine.exe (NOT the x64) and make sure others are uninstalled before installing. (won't let me add a link)

So many conflicting solutions out there,  so THANK YOU. 

• Marked as answer by Electrobrit Monday, September 16, 2019 11:40 PM
    Monday, September 16, 2019 11:40 PM

All replies

• I have installed Access Database Engine x64.exe (multiple times).

The Import/Export wizard started from SSMS is a 32 bit application and can use only 32 bit data Provider. You have to start the 64 bit wizard from Windows menu or to have to install ACE as 32 bit provider.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Monday, September 2, 2019 12:36 PM
  • There is no 64 bit wizard that I can find, can you lead me in that direction?
    or how do you install ACE as a 32bit provider?

it seems like so many have this issue but the solution is not intuitive.

thank you for your help!
    • Edited by Electrobrit Tuesday, September 10, 2019 3:09 PM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2019 3:09 PM
  • The 64 bit wizard gets only installed on the Server, not on Client machine where only SSMS is installed.

Download the 32 bit ACE Provider and install that one.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 7:12 AM
  • I believe that worked. I got past the message. The only thing is an error on converting data types but not sure if related. A colleague and I are looking tomorrow.

However, for anyone else having this issue and on 64 bit-everything and getting this message.  DOWNLOAD THE Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistibutable>Access Database Engine.exe (NOT the x64) and make sure others are uninstalled before installing. (won't let me add a link)

So many conflicting solutions out there,  so THANK YOU. 

• Marked as answer by Electrobrit Monday, September 16, 2019 11:40 PM
    Monday, September 16, 2019 11:40 PM
  • Thank you...this issue held me up for 3-4 hours.

Products: Office 365 64-bit + SSMS v18.3.1.

Link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=13255

Thursday, October 31, 2019 2:50 PM