none
Question on Installing Reporting Services and its Databases ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to have the Reporting Services installed on one server\machine and the databases ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB on a different server\machine?

I have always installed both on the same machine but this architecture is being suggested.

I know that you can install the services without the databases on an instance but how do you install just the databases without the services on an instance?

lcerni

Monday, December 23, 2013 1:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• When you configure SSRS, you enter the database engine servername.  This can be local or remote.  There is no difference.

Monday, December 23, 2013 3:58 PM
  • You can create the SSRS report database by using the Reporting Services Configuration Manager. If I remember correctly there should be a section in there on database setup.

Some information on this one:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms157285.aspx

Monday, December 23, 2013 4:29 PM
  • Hi Icerni,

Based on the current description, I understand that you want to install Reporting Services on one machine, and install Report Server and ReportServerTempDB databases on another machine.

I think it’s not supported that installing only the databases related to Reporting Services on an instance without Reporting Services. From the document: Create a Report Server Database, we can need the Reporting Services Configuration Manager tool to create Report Server databases.

In Reporting Services, there is scale-out deployment which refers to two or more report server instances that share a single report server database. They are used to increase scalability of report servers to handle more concurrent users and larger report execution loads. And it can also be used to dedicate specific servers to process interactive or scheduled reports.

References:
    Scale-out Deployment (Native Mode Report Server)
    Configuring Reporting Services for Scale-Out Deployment

Regards,
    Heidi Duan

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Heidi Duan
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 6:12 AM
  • So it is in this screen that I would change the instance that I want the databases ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB to be on, correct?

lcerni

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 3:43 PM
  • Yes that is correct. When you click on the Change Database button, there should be an option to either create a new report server databases or point the service to another report database.
    Tuesday, December 24, 2013 4:11 PM
  • It was Microsoft that came in and suggested that the Reporting Services and the databases ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB be on seperate machines.  I am used to them being on the same machine.  I was not involved in the discussions.  I was wondering if someone could explain the benefits of having the services on one machine and the databases on a second machine.  This is for SharePoint so I don't know if that makes a difference or not.  If it was non SharePoint reports, would it also benefit to have the services seperate from the databases?

lcerni

Thursday, December 26, 2013 2:13 PM
  • That is MS standard for larger Sharepoint installs which require 3 tier design.  This is not an SSRS issue, it is to give Sharepoint more room and processing power in the future.

Please see:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee805948.aspx

Thursday, December 26, 2013 5:35 PM
  • Before SQL Server 2008 you need to have IIS installed if you want to have SSRS, some people might want to avoid having installing IIS on a database server. Even with SQL Server 2008 and 2012, where we don't need IIS for SSRS, the server would need to have port 80 (you can change this to some other available ports) for SSRS, that's one extra port open if you are installing it on your SQL Server.

Also depending on the report and the load, the reporting services can eat up some resources when it tries to process the aggregation, exporting the report from one format to another (report rendering). Thus, if you have a big report environment with a large report request, putting the SSRS on the same server as your SQL Server can cause them to compete for resources.

But again, it would all depend on your environment and how the SSRS is being utilized.

Friday, December 27, 2013 3:20 PM