none
What is the Flight Recorder? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can anyone tell me more about the Flight Recorder? I think I can probably make an educated guess but I'd like something concrete.

• What is it?
    • What does it do?
    • How is it different from the query log?
    • Is it something used to do an AS trace?
    • What are flight recorder snapshots?

The only thing I can find is here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174827.aspx

-Jamie

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 2:52 PM

Answers

• What does it do?
  • Records last period of history for so you can try and troubleshoot events you didnt catch in Profiler

• Records quite a few trace events, but it is bound by time and space where query log records without restrictions but records only one event.

• Flight Recorder is implemented  as an internal trace running at all times

• What are flight recorder snapshots
  • These are Server State discover requests Analysis Server sends to itself to record them into Flight Recorder. Requests like DISCOVER_CONNECTIONS, DISCOVER_SESSIONS, DISCOVER_LOCKS

Edward.
    --
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 6:40 PM
  • What if you dont run Profiler trace at the time someone sends a runaway query to your server?

What if you are not there to watch what caused your server to slow down?

What if processing operation normally taking only few minutes now takes half an hour.

Flight recorder gives you ablity to look at events happed on the server at some period of time and try and troubleshoot the problem.

An alternative is to run a server trace ( logged into a file) and capture events by yourself. In this case it is your responcibility to monitor and cleanup server trace from time to time.

Edward.
    --

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 6:19 PM
  • All replies

• Apologies, I've found a bit of stuff here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/f/8/4f8f2dc9-a9a7-4b68-98cb-163482c95e0b/SSASProperties.doc#_Toc136412586

[which, at first glance, looks like being an excellent document by the way]

Answers to my questions above would still be useful tho!!!

-Jamie

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 2:54 PM
    • What does it do?
    • Records last period of history for so you can try and troubleshoot events you didnt catch in Profiler

• Records quite a few trace events, but it is bound by time and space where query log records without restrictions but records only one event.

• Flight Recorder is implemented  as an internal trace running at all times

• What are flight recorder snapshots
    • These are Server State discover requests Analysis Server sends to itself to record them into Flight Recorder. Requests like DISCOVER_CONNECTIONS, DISCOVER_SESSIONS, DISCOVER_LOCKS

Edward.
      --

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 6:40 PM
  • Thank you very much Edward.

Can you give a "What if" scenario to describe where flight recorder info would be useful. Is the difference simply that Flight Recorder is always running?

-Jamie

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 7:52 AM
  • What if you dont run Profiler trace at the time someone sends a runaway query to your server?

What if you are not there to watch what caused your server to slow down?

What if processing operation normally taking only few minutes now takes half an hour.

Flight recorder gives you ablity to look at events happed on the server at some period of time and try and troubleshoot the problem.

An alternative is to run a server trace ( logged into a file) and capture events by yourself. In this case it is your responcibility to monitor and cleanup server trace from time to time.

Edward.
    --

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 6:19 PM
  • As always Edward, thanks very much for the informative answer!

-Jamie

Thursday, June 29, 2006 9:40 AM