none
What is the Roadmap for SSRS Product since Power BI is becoming popular? RRS feed

• Question

• Do we still need to use SSRS?
    so much noise voice on Power BI, what is the Product roadmap of SSRS? (should not end up in migrating to PowerBI if we develop something in SSRS now)
    We should develop everything in PowerBI? 
    What case best suited for SSRS and what for PowerBI?
    Migration Tool available for migrating SSRS to PowerBI?

Experts advice required please.  Thanks.

Raghavendra Narayana

Thursday, March 1, 2018 10:38 AM

All replies

• Best thing about SSRS is its free with SQL Server but Power BI is not free ( after some usage limit , refer licensing model as per your needs on official site) . I tried many times to pursue my organization to move ahead and try other tools than SSRS but whenever cost comes they are reluctant.

At least for Intranet usages SSRS will be there long enough , also SSRS is also being upgraded along with SQL Server Version.

We should develop everything in PowerBI?  - If you have Power BI than it would be better to use it as it is more interactive and far advance than SSRS

What case best suited for SSRS and what for PowerBI? - Again i would say same thing Power BI is much more advanced so it depends on your usage what you want to give to users

Migration Tool available for migrating SSRS to PowerBI? Check below link

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-migrate-SSRS-reports-to-Power-BI-and-create-new-reports/td-p/298428

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue 
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue so that other forum members can benefit from it

Yuvraj Singh Bais
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, March 1, 2018 10:53 AM
  • Take a look at Power BI Report Server.

It was introduced late last year.

It is technically SSRS with the ability to host Power BI reports (.pbix) files.

You can use it instead of SSRS and you have the rights to deploy Power BI Report Server with an existing SQL Server Enterprise edition license (as long as you have Software Assurance).

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/report-server/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/get-started

Friday, March 2, 2018 9:42 PM
  • Do we still need to use SSRS?
    so much noise voice on Power BI, what is the Product roadmap of SSRS? (should not end up in migrating to PowerBI if we develop something in SSRS now)
    We should develop everything in PowerBI? 
    What case best suited for SSRS and what for PowerBI?
    Migration Tool available for migrating SSRS to PowerBI?

Experts advice required please.  Thanks.

Raghavendra Narayana

Like most things, it depends!

Each tool has Pros and Cons.

Power BI is better at creating high level, interactive, analytic reporting tools, but has limitations around conditional/expression control, OLAP datasets (limited to 1), no export/print functionality (except save to PDF). While it is strong at data modelling, visualisation and interactive components (and it is being updated monthly).

SSRS is better at precise, conditional control with report elements. More flexibility in using multiple OLAP datasets. Multiple print and export options supported out of the box

IMO I would recommend each for the following:

PBI - proof-of-concepts analytic pieces, actually any analytic pieces, high level dashboards and basic detail reports. All of these need to use non-OLAP data sources (I wouldn't even use a single OLAP data source in PBI, because you can't create new measures, calculated columns etc within PBI... you have to make those changes back in SSAS and re-deploy).

SSRS - anything (high level dashboards through to low level detailed reports) that requires extensive use of conditional control. Anything that uses OLAP data sources. Reporting that is more operational in nature (exception reporting, listing type reports, invoicing or letter-type reports, data exports (csv/pdf). Reports that you wish to monitor generation usage (I'm not totally sure what is tracked when a PBI is generated, but I know for sure with SSRS you can track how it was generated: ie by who, with what parameters etc).

PBI is nice, new, shiney and certainly has some cool interactivity features. It is great for analytics and organisations who only need that level of reporting. However, there are many corporate reporting scenarios PBI can't deliver in, but SSRS easily can.

It depends on what you want to do. 

HTH

Monday, May 14, 2018 6:47 AM
  • I have a customer who is using SSRS and is wondering if there is an EOL scheduled? They want to know if they should continue to invest or if they should go ahead and upgrade to PowerBI.

Monday, October 7, 2019 8:49 PM
  • You will find some discussion on these forums if you search these forums.

[EDIT] I have merged your post with an identical one.

SSRS is an integral part of a great many large companies' automated reporting services. Most of the world is still playing "catch up" with today's techs, or constrained by budgets which prohibit retraining and upgrades. So SSRS will be around for a long time yet.

The point you should be asking is if any of the features that Power BI brings to the table are useful or better.

From my experience, it is a definite YES.

But SSRS still has it's own essential (often baked-in) role, so won't be going anywhere for some time. 

In my humble opinion, of course...

Regards,
    Pete

#PEJL
    Got any nice code? If you invest time in coding an elegant, novel or impressive answer on MSDN forums, why not copy it over to TechNet Wiki, for future generations to benefit from! You'll never get archived again, and you could win weekly awards!

Have you got what it takes to become this month's TechNet Technical Guru? Join a long list of well known community big hitters, show your knowledge and prowess in your favoured technologies!

Monday, October 7, 2019 9:08 PM
  • Thanks Pete.  Helpful.
    Tuesday, October 8, 2019 1:02 PM