none
SSRS 2016: How to set anonymous access to SSRS 2016 reports? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have an ability to set public access for datazen reports. Likewise, do we have any such property to set public access for SSRS2016 reports?

Thanks,

Julie

Thursday, December 1, 2016 7:36 AM

Answers

• Hi Julie Elizebeth Sam,

As far as I know, the Anonymous authentication method and request is not supported by SSRS 2016, see Unsupported Authentication Methods.

Based on my research, it seems that a workaround for anonymous access in SSRS is that use the custom authentication, then configure the report server configuration, please refer to Anonymous access in SQL RS 2008. If you would like to get more information about SSRS 2016 custom Authentication, please see:

Custom Authentication provider for SSRS 2016

So, in your scenario, I'm afraid there's no any property to set public access for SSRS 2016 directly.

Thanks for your understanding and support.

If you still have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Pirlo Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 2, 2016 5:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Julie Elizebeth Sam,

As far as I know, the Anonymous authentication method and request is not supported by SSRS 2016, see Unsupported Authentication Methods.

Based on my research, it seems that a workaround for anonymous access in SSRS is that use the custom authentication, then configure the report server configuration, please refer to Anonymous access in SQL RS 2008. If you would like to get more information about SSRS 2016 custom Authentication, please see:

Custom Authentication provider for SSRS 2016

So, in your scenario, I'm afraid there's no any property to set public access for SSRS 2016 directly.

Thanks for your understanding and support.

If you still have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Pirlo Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 2, 2016 5:53 AM
  • Pirlo, can you update the URL for the link "Custom Authentication provider for SSRS 2016"? When I click on the link, it just launches this thread. The URL you are pointing to is:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/7e4251da-4812-4553-80d1-98a19bbce534/ssrs-2016-how-to-set-anonymous-access-to-ssrs-2016-reports?forum=sqlreportingservices

(again, this is the URL for this thread).

Is there a link to a reference on SSRS 2016 Custom Authentication?

Gregory Block, PhD, MBA

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 4:53 PM
  • Hi Gregory and  Julie,

Complementing Pirlo's answer.

The link below describes the difference in custom authentication for ssrs 2016.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt490493.aspx

A sample for forms auth was posted to the ssrs samples github repo, can be found here:

https://github.com/Microsoft/Reporting-Services/tree/master/CustomSecuritySample

As for anonymous auth, there is an old post from James Wu which describes how to create a custom extension that works as anonymous access, the code for the extension would still be valid in ssrs 2016 (only need to bind to the new Microsoft.ReportingSerfices.Interfaces.dll and follow the configuration steps from the msdn link above)

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/jameswu/2008/07/15/anonymous-access-in-sql-rs-2008/

Let me know if you hit any issues setting it up.

Thanks

-Boreki

Boreki[MSFT] - SQL Server Reporting Services

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 7:28 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Boreki, those links are much better!

Gregory Block, PhD, MBA

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 7:52 PM