none
Cannot add DM add-ins RRS feed

• Question

• I have had so much trouble with these DM addins that I feel like giving up. Maybe someone here can help me.

I finally got the DM Add-ins installed last week after contacting MS Support to help. I had them running for the last week with no major issues. Today I tried to load Excel and the Data Mining and Analyze tabs are missing from the Ribbon.

I checked Add-ins under Excel Options, and the Add-ins are unloaded now for some reason. I cannot get them to load, even when I check them nothing is added to the Ribbon and when I check again, they are still unloaded.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 10:24 PM

Answers

• I have to ask: you did install explicitly the Data Mining client add-in, right? It is not enabled in the default setup, you need to explicitly check that option. A simple explanation would be that:

- Data Mining client is not installed (default setup)

- the Analyze ribbon only shows when clicking inside an Excel table

therefore, in general, it looks like the add-ins are not installed until you click inside an Excel Table object.

Assuming the setup included all options, there are two possible scenarios: either the add-ins got disabled by some  first-time loading problem (and some persisted registry entries prevent a correct reinstall ) or there is a certain problem with your machine configuration.

The add-ins are loaded from the registry. The following keys instruct Excel to load the add-ins

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\SQLServer.DMClientXLAddIn]
    "CommandLineSafe"=dword:00000001
    "FriendlyName"="SQLServer.DMClientXLAddIn"
    "Name"="SQLServer.DMClientXLAddIn"
    "LoadBehavior"=dword:00000003
    "Description"="Microsoft SQL Server (R) Data Mining Client Excel Addin"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\SQLServer.DMXLAddIn]
    "FriendlyName"="SQLServer.DMXLAddIn"
    "Name"="SQLServer.DMXLAddIn"
    "Description"="Microsoft SQL Server (R) Data Mining Table Analytics for Excel"

If an exception occurs in the add-ins or during loading, the highlighted key (LoadBehavior) ends up being set to a value different from 3 (typically, 2). You can try to set it explicitly to 3 while Excel is not started, then restart Excel.

In addition, if an exception occurrs, Excel may attempt to disable one/more add-ins.  Could you also please check the

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\Resiliency\DisabledItems] registry key?

It may contain a binary entry marking the data mining add-ins as disabled. If the key contains any other values besides (Default), you could try to:

- export existing values (for backup)

- delete all values

- start excel

I would suggest the following steps:

- close any Excel instance (ideally from the Task manager's list of processes, to get to any invisible running instance)

- check the registry settings mentioned above

- restart the machine

- restart Excel

Thursday, June 14, 2007 5:41 AM

All replies

• Are you running Vista? You might have to run Excel as an admin one time, to check them for loading. Once you check the add-ins, you will need to restart Excel.

After that, you can run under normal privileges.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 6:04 AM
  • No, not Vista - running XP Pro sp2

And I have administrator rights - still no add-ins.

I have tried repairing, and then uninstall/reinstalling the add-ins. Still cannot get them added, even though they show up as COM add-ins. I checked for Excel .NET Programmability, but that is installed OK as well.

Any other thoughts? Thanks for helping.
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 3:35 PM
  • I have to ask: you did install explicitly the Data Mining client add-in, right? It is not enabled in the default setup, you need to explicitly check that option. A simple explanation would be that:

- Data Mining client is not installed (default setup)

- the Analyze ribbon only shows when clicking inside an Excel table

therefore, in general, it looks like the add-ins are not installed until you click inside an Excel Table object.

Assuming the setup included all options, there are two possible scenarios: either the add-ins got disabled by some  first-time loading problem (and some persisted registry entries prevent a correct reinstall ) or there is a certain problem with your machine configuration.

The add-ins are loaded from the registry. The following keys instruct Excel to load the add-ins

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\SQLServer.DMClientXLAddIn]

If an exception occurs in the add-ins or during loading, the highlighted key (LoadBehavior) ends up being set to a value different from 3 (typically, 2). You can try to set it explicitly to 3 while Excel is not started, then restart Excel.

In addition, if an exception occurrs, Excel may attempt to disable one/more add-ins.  Could you also please check the

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\Resiliency\DisabledItems] registry key?

It may contain a binary entry marking the data mining add-ins as disabled. If the key contains any other values besides (Default), you could try to:

- delete all values

- start excel

I would suggest the following steps:

- close any Excel instance (ideally from the Task manager's list of processes, to get to any invisible running instance)

- check the registry settings mentioned above

- restart the machine

- restart Excel

Thursday, June 14, 2007 5:41 AM
  • This worked! The error was in the DisabledItems registry key. Deleting the key added the DM add-ins upon reboot.

Bogdan, you are awesome. You helped me out with my questions at the BI conference, and again today big-time. Thank you so much!

-Tim
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 3:40 PM
  • Hello! I have problems with the Excel 2007 DM-add ins on a Windows Vista Business Edition laptop. They will not show up with a tab even if I mark a table.

I also run AS2005 SP2 on my laptop.

Any suggestions?

Kind Regards

Thomas Ivarsson

Monday, June 18, 2007 12:41 PM
  • I know about the user account protection in Vista but that is not the issue here.

Are the DM add ins supported on Vista?

I am grateful for any answere.

/Thomas Ivarsson

Monday, June 18, 2007 7:59 PM
  • Now I know what the problem is. I run the installation on Vista but the Excel 2007 DM add ins configuration do not show up under program files.

Where can I find the configuration tool on the hard drive?

On my previous laptop with Windows XP the configuration tool is available in Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server DM add-ins(Microsoft.SQLServer.Datamining.Office.ServerConfiguration.exe).

Regards

Thomas Ivarsson

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 11:06 AM
  • I'm having a similar issue on Win XP Pro SP2, I have admin rights on my machine and I made sure to select all options during the DM Add-in install. The install appears to complete successfully but nothing is added to the Ribbon when I start Excel and the Analyze ribbon does not appear when clicking inside a table within the sample spreadsheet that ships with the Add-in.  I've tried re-installing and repairing the Add-in along with several machine restarts but still no luck.  I also ran Office 2007 update and installed all the recommended updates just in case.  I've checked the registry keys mentioned above and the LoadBehavior value for both keys gets set to 2 after each time I start Excel. I've checked the HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel key but there is no Resiliency key underneath it.  Is there any way to figure out why Excel is unhappy with the Add-In?  Thoughts?
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 4:00 PM
  • The configuration tool can be accessed from the Start menu - the shortcut is under Programs->Microsoft SQL Server 2005 DM Add-ins->Server Configuration Utility.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 9:46 PM
  • Hello Raman. The problem is that I have an installation reporting success but the DM-Add In under programs(In Windows XP) will not show at all). And there is no excel data mining folder under Program Files on the hard drive.

I have downloaded the Excel Data mining add-ins from the  "MS SQL Server 2005 Feature Pack" page and I guess that the configuration files are part of that download?

Regards

Thomas Ivarsson

Thursday, June 21, 2007 2:06 PM
  • I finally got it. The SQL Server 2005 Feature Pack do not contain the configuration tools. The complete installation is on another page from february 2007.

With the complete installation package I have a succesful installation on my Windows Vista machine.

If the complete installation package had been on the feature pack page thing would have been much easier.

Regards

Thomas Ivarsson

Thursday, June 21, 2007 3:06 PM
  • The SQLServer2005_DMAddin.msi should contain all three add-ins as well as the Server Configuration Utility.  This is the only package we ship - we don't have one that excludes the Server Configuration Utility.

Did you download the .msi from this page? http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=82754.

The SP2 Feature Pack page (a.k.a. Feature Pack for Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - February 2007) should point to the URL above as well.

Do you see a difference in the version numbers (or other file attributes) between the versions of the .msi that succeeded vs. failed for you?

Thursday, June 21, 2007 7:24 PM
  • The timestamp of the msi-package(SQLServer2005_OLAPDM.msi) from the "feature pack" page is 20070211(28,2 MB).  The other with the succesful installation package(SQLServer2005_DMAddin.msi) have the timestamp 20070311(13,7 MB).

I do not remember where I have downloaded the smaller version.

Regards

Thomas Ivarsson

Friday, June 22, 2007 9:17 AM
  • This worked for me:
    The analyze tab only shows up if you have your data formatted as table.
    Select your data, Click Home/Format as table.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 12:01 PM
  • I've the same problem that Joe Svoboda in Windows Vista Bussines and I haven't found any solution (my registry is OK). It's very strange.

Any idea?

Friday, July 18, 2008 10:10 AM

• I have the same problem...
    No ribbon :-)

I have SQLserver 2008, by mistake I installed the Addins for SQLserver2005
    Now, Instaled  Addins for SQLserver 2008, No errors, but I cannot see the ribbon, noet even when I am
    in a table

HELP PLEASE!!!

I checked the variables and for some reason the
    LoadBehavior Variable changes again to 2
    Value 3
      Name:            LoadBehavior
      Type:            REG_DWORD
      Data:            0x2
    Friday, July 18, 2008 9:07 PM
  • Is Excel .Net Programmability Support installed on your machine?

You can verify this by running the Office 2007 setup, selecting the Custom Installation option and verifying that the .Net programmability support is checked.

The Excel .Net prog support is required (see http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=7c76e8df-8674-4c3b-a99b-55b17f3c4c51&displaylang=en)

Saturday, July 19, 2008 6:43 AM
  • Hello Bogdan,

Yes, of course. In fact, I unsistall and reinstall office checking that the option is marked. I Install de dm add-in and...... nothing. I have 3 PC's and the add-in is OK in one. The other 2 bad.

Thanks a lot

Sunday, July 20, 2008 8:27 AM
  • Worked for me as well !!

Deleting disabled keys from registery worked ...

Thanks

Sudeep Sakalle
    Infovinity Systems Pvt. Ltd.
    London' 2009
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 7:10 PM
  • This worked for me:

In addition, if an exception occurs, Excel may attempt to disable one/more add-ins.  Could you also please check the

- delete all values

- start excel

THANK YOU BOGDAN!
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 6:51 PM
  • Hi Bogdan,

I checked my configuration according to your instructions. In my case, I cannot
    change the highlighted key (LoadBehavior) from 2 to 3, it will be changed back automatically, but I can change it from 2 to 1. And then it can be seen the two AddIns are loaded successfully. But I cannot see the data mining Ribbon yet. BTW, two other AddIns (Microsoft.SqlServer.datamining.office.excel.clientConnect, Microsoft.SqlServer.datamining.office.excel.connect) are always in the inactive list. Is this related to my issue? My installation is as follows:

Analysis Service Server:

1)  OS: windows 2003 Enterprise x64 edition with SP2

2)  SQL server 2005 enterprise edition with SP3

Client:

1)   Windows XP Professional version 2002 with SP3

2)       Excel 2007 with .net programmable support

3)       .net framework 3.5 SP1

4)       SQL server 2005 Office 2007 Data mining add in published in Dec. 2008

Besides, the above installation, I

1) Configured the connection from data mining add-in to Analysis Service and created database successfully, saying DMAddinsDB

2)     Restart the server and my laptop after the installation and configuration

Known issue:  1)   two excel add-ins are inactive;   2) cannot see the data mining ribbon

I appreciate your any suggestion and instructions. Thanks a lot!

Phil

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 7:11 AM
  • Thanks Bogdan Crivat !!!

I had the same problem,but what I did was to simply open up the registry editor and change the LoadBehavior value from 2 to 3, and my headache miraculously disappeared. (see below)

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 8:55 AM
  • Thanks for this post, Bogdan.  I found a key in the Resiliency folder, backed it up, deleted it, restared Excel, and the DM add-in is now working. 

Paul

Paul B. Felix, MBA, CBIP, MCP Senior BI Consultant LiveLogic | http://www.livelogic.net
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 2:42 PM
  • hey all, very informative forum. I am having trouble finding the key any suggestions. Regards Dan
    Friday, November 12, 2010 5:12 PM
  • Hi Smackers, 

I'm running Server 2008 64 bit OS and the keys are located at...

HKey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Office\Excel

Hope this helps,
    Paul

Paul B. Felix, MBA, CBIP, MCP Senior BI Consultant LiveLogic | http://www.livelogic.net
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 4:08 AM