none
SSIS Logging -- how to overwrite old log file. RRS feed

• Question

• After logging is configured in SSIS package, it seems that after each execution the output is appended to the log file (we are talking about log provider for text files in this case).  As a result the file just keeps on growing.  I would like to overwrite old information with each run, but I can't find where to configure this.  Anybody knows?

Thank you!

Friday, July 28, 2006 4:30 PM

Answers

• Run an initial package (with no logging) and use the File System task to delete the log files.The run the "real" packages. If you are using SQL Agent to schedule the jobs, just add a step to the job.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 8:59 PM

All replies

• I don't think you can do that but you can easily just create a new file upon each execution by setting the name of the file dynamically. If the filename contained (for example) the start time of the package then you would get a new file on each execution.

If you want to do this - explore the use of expressions.

-Jamie

Saturday, July 29, 2006 1:24 PM
  • I have tried the same thing but the point is that I dont want to manage the logs of 40 or 50 SSIS packages or hundreds of different files. In the event something goes wrong I want to be able to look at the last run but dont need the extra work of checking log sizes and deleting files.

Is there really no way to just overwrite a logon each run???

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 6:22 AM
  • Run an initial package (with no logging) and use the File System task to delete the log files.The run the "real" packages. If you are using SQL Agent to schedule the jobs, just add a step to the job.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 8:59 PM