none
Non-SysAdmins have been denied permission to run DTS Execution job steps without a proxy account. The step failed RRS feed

• Question

• Using SSISDB Catalog on MS2017

I'm trying to setup agent job for running ssisdb package. I'm getting the following error

"Non-SysAdmins have been denied permission to run DTS Execution job steps without a proxy account. The step failed"

Quick search on internet shows me that I need a proxy account. My question is, is the proxy only the way? if I create a proxy account what are the extra permissions the proxy account would get on the database/server?

• Edited by bolapati Thursday, May 24, 2018 11:06 PM
    Thursday, May 24, 2018 11:05 PM

All replies

• Hi bolapati,

No, you can also use SQL Server Agent Service account. Anyway, the account needs have full permission to access all sources of package and execute the package.

It's recommended that use the proxy account.

In general, the proxy account need to add into SSIS_admin role.

Setting up a Proxy Account to run SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) 2012 packages

Please also check your another thread.

Regards,

Pirlo Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 25, 2018 2:20 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

"No, you can also use SQL Server Agent Service account" - could you please point me to one example.

"It's recommended that use the proxy account." - Can I request why?

I also do not want to give the ssis_admin role. Is this role mandatory?

Friday, May 25, 2018 3:10 AM
  • Hi bolapati,

-->>could you please point me to one example.

Just give your SQL Server Agent Service account read and execution permission. 

You can add the account to any role of following roles:

db_dtsadmin, sysadmin, db_dtsltduser, db_dtsoperator.

Please have a check IS roles.

And if you are using SQL Service Agent Service account that you may also need to give permission to access resources on file system.

Permissions to Schedule an SSIS Package from SQL Server Agent and the File System

No, the SSIS_admin is not the role mandatory, check other roles.

Regards,

Pirlo Zhang 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 25, 2018 6:01 AM