none
The Report Services Instance could not be found

Question

• I Try to connect to Report Services

I Recieved This Message

The Report Services Instance could not be found (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.RSClient)

Thursday, January 5, 2006 8:17 AM

Answers

• Hi There,

had the same problem. When I looked in the Reporting Services Configuration I had a lot of "red icons". I simply fixed those things. I guess the error have to do with the webservice and I fixed this by simply apply the info telling to use ASPNET user. But fix all the errors if any. I've didn't even have a report database so I had to fix that as well.

Hope this helps :)

Bobhen

Wednesday, February 1, 2006 8:15 AM

All replies

• Azim,

Could you fix the problem ? I am facing the same problem on a new installation.

The IIS Webpage(controlpanel->performance->computer mgt->IIS->WebPage) shows ReportServer$DinSQLServer with an icon for ERROR and "stopped" though, I can see that the ReportServer is up and running from the Services panel. Also, there are no errors when I restart the ReportServer service other than :

The report server cannot create the Total Cache Hits (Semantic Models) performance counter.

and similar other performance counters being not created. This is followed by

The ReportServer service has been activated

Also, in the ReportingServices configuration manager, when I say connect with the Machine name and Instance name as DinSQLServer, it doesnt take me anywhere. The Server Status page is blank.

The database has the objects ReportServer$DinSQLServer and ReportServer$DinSQLServerTempDB created along with the tables.

I am at a loss as to what could be the problem.

Could someone please help me fix this problem.

Thanks

Dinus

Thursday, January 19, 2006 9:20 AM
  • Did you get any errors when you installed RS? When you bring up the config manager, were there any errors?
    Thursday, January 19, 2006 7:51 PM
  • I have the same problem. I am installing on to a Windows 2003 Domain Controller. I have seen issues posted about installing on a Domain Controller but I thought they had been resolved.

Anyone who can tell us what is going on?

Friday, January 20, 2006 2:27 AM
  • There were no errors when installing RS. In the config manager for RS, I see a red-cross mark at "Web Service identity" which has the ASP .NET Service account as <machine-name>\ASPNET.

ASPNET is a user that has all the rights(for testing purposes, I included it in the admin group).

Monday, January 23, 2006 5:18 AM
  • Hi There,

had the same problem. When I looked in the Reporting Services Configuration I had a lot of "red icons". I simply fixed those things. I guess the error have to do with the webservice and I fixed this by simply apply the info telling to use ASPNET user. But fix all the errors if any. I've didn't even have a report database so I had to fix that as well.

Hope this helps :)

Bobhen

Wednesday, February 1, 2006 8:15 AM
  • Bobhen

Thanks a ton i was able to fix the issue using your post...

For folks who are tryin gto find that reporting util  go to

Start>programs>microsoft sql server >configuration tools>reporting services

The util is self explanatory and you should be able to fix it and then the reporting services will work fine...

Cheers

Ujval

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 9:46 PM
  • I don't have an ASPNET user
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 7:49 PM
  • which version of Microsoft Server do you use?   I thought a small business server did not have a aspnet-user ?!

Thursday, June 21, 2007 9:24 AM
  • Hi ,

I fixed this issue by doing these steps : 

1) go to reporting services configuration manager 

2) make a new database for the reports 

3) under web tab , just press apply to apply these settings .

fortunately it will work :D

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 12:59 PM