none
Replication - Identifying What Account Distributor is running under RRS feed

• Question

• Fellow SQLers.

sql 2016

Have setup Replication. All is running fine.

Noticed that the replication SQL Agent jobs (ie. snapshot, logreader, etc) all show job owner of the person that setup replication - Who is sysadmin.  That makes me believe that the internals might be running under that account too. I already have a domain account that is used on the box for this type of thing and want to use that.

I want to know how I can tell WHAT replication is actually using for distributor etc by way of t-sql. Obviously, I will be changing it to a proper domain account if distributor properites are under that persons sysadmin domain account.

Thanks,

MG

Friday, December 6, 2019 10:53 PM

Answers

• Hi MG101,

You can execute on your distributor this stored procedure sp_helpdistributor that will give you the internal configuration.

Hope this helps!

regards!

• Marked as answer by mg101 Sunday, December 8, 2019 8:15 PM
    Sunday, December 8, 2019 7:46 PM

All replies

• Hi MG101,

You can execute on your distributor this stored procedure sp_helpdistributor that will give you the internal configuration.

Hope this helps!

regards!

• Marked as answer by mg101 Sunday, December 8, 2019 8:15 PM
    Sunday, December 8, 2019 7:46 PM
  • Thx Gonzalo. Worked perfectly and gave me exactly what I wanted.

Interesting, the distributor is using the SQL Agent account, which is what we wanted, but setting up replication built the replication SQL Agent jobs with the person who set it up as owner of the agent jobs. One would have thought MS would have used the same account as SQL Agent for distributor.

Thx

MG

Sunday, December 8, 2019 8:18 PM
  • Hi MG!

Yes the owner job will be the person that configure the replication but internally they will use the Account that you configured on the GUI or TSQL. If the person leaves the company you can change the owner of each job to SA.

regards!

Monday, December 9, 2019 12:35 PM
  • HI Gonzalo. Yes, we knew that. It is just odd that the process of building replication does it that way.

MG

Monday, December 9, 2019 2:23 PM