none
Log Shipping Error: 60000, Severity: 10, State: 1

Question

• Hey all!

I have log shipping set up between two servers (s1 and s2). Data is flowing from s1 to s2 and the log shipping monitor is on s1.

I get the following error sporadically

"Transaction Log Backup Job for DB Maintenance Plan 'LogShip DatabaseName" failed..

Error: 60000, Severity: 10, State: 1

So i usually go and start the job manually and it runs fine. But why does this happen and what does the error mean? The above job is scheduled to run every 5mins daily.

Thanks in advance!

THE LADDERS (The Most $100k+ Jobs.)
    www.TheLadders.com

Friday, January 4, 2008 7:42 PM

All replies

• Ensure that the sql service account has write permissions to backup the transaction log in the mentioned folder. Are you taking the T-log backup to network path if yes pls ensure proper permissions are there.... 

Also configure the monitor server either as a seperate server (preferably) or as secondary server itself, not as primary server.

- Deepak

Friday, January 4, 2008 9:02 PM
  • Thanks for ur reply Deepak.

yes i do have write permissions on it, thats why it works most of the time successfully. And once in a while the job fails with the error message in the error log. More over since it is scheduled to run every 5 mins it starts running or sometimes may not after a few retrys. Very weird! Does this have something to do with bad network pipe lines?

Friday, January 4, 2008 9:30 PM
  • Anybody any thoughts on this matter?
    Monday, January 7, 2008 9:31 PM
  • This is the error message i found in the windows log.

Microsoft (R) SQLMaint Utility (Unicode), Version Logged on to SQL Server 'SERVER_NAME' as 'sqladmin' (trusted)
    Starting maintenance plan 'LogShip MYDatabase' on 1/24/2008 10:20:01 AM
    [1] Database MYDatabase: Transaction Log Backup...
        Destination: [\\BackupServer\dbdump\SERVER_NAME_LogShip\MYDatabase_tlog_200801241020.TRN]

** Execution Time: 0 hrs, 0 mins, 1 secs **

[2] Database MYDatabase: Delete Old Backup Files...
        Unable to delete file \\\\BackupServer\dbdump\SERVER_NAME_LogShip\MYDatabase_tlog_200712311905.TRN.    77 file(s) deleted.

Deleting old text reports...    1 file(s) deleted.

End of maintenance plan 'LogShip MYDatabase' on 1/24/2008 10:20:02 AM
    SQLMAINT.EXE Process Exit Code: 1 (Failed)

Thursday, January 24, 2008 5:16 PM
  • Are you using a SQL Maintenance Plan with log-shipping?  If so, that is not a good idea, and the first thing I would do is remove any databases from the Maintenance Plan that you are already log-shipping.  In the log-shipping settings for the database, you can adjust the backup settings to Delete files older than <whatever length you want>.  That should take care of everything a maintenance plan would do.

The error looks like it is having issues trying to delete an older backup file.  If you aren't running the latest SQL 2005 SP2, then this may be your issue, as it is a known one for maintenance plans to error on deleting backups, or worse, delete the wrong backups.

If you aren't using a maintenance plan, try to manually delete \\\\BackupServer\dbdump\SERVER_NAME_LogShip\MYDatabase_tlog_200712311905.TRN and see what happens.  By the way, I notice there is an extra set of "\\" at the beginning of the line which if it isn't a typo, would indicate that somehow you have specified an incorrect network path in your backup settings or maintenance plan.

You should also check your job history after the job has failed as it sometimes contains more information then the SQL Server Error Log.

Finally, you should make sure that \\BackupServer\dbdump\SERVER_NAME_LogShip folder has been made a share which can be accessed by the service account running the log-ship backup job.  It needs to be shared, even if the user has rights to the folder.  If this share is also located on the primary server, also make sure you have specified the correct local path as well.

Hope this helps!

Monday, January 28, 2008 7:51 PM
  •  lana27 wrote:
    This is the error message i found in the windows log.

Microsoft (R) SQLMaint Utility (Unicode), Version Logged on to SQL Server 'SERVER_NAME' as 'sqladmin' (trusted)
    Starting maintenance plan 'LogShip MYDatabase' on 1/24/2008 10:20:01 AM
    [1] Database MYDatabase: Transaction Log Backup...
        Destination: [\\BackupServer\dbdump\SERVER_NAME_LogShip\MYDatabase_tlog_200801241020.TRN]

** Execution Time: 0 hrs, 0 mins, 1 secs **

[2] Database MYDatabase: Delete Old Backup Files...
        Unable to delete file \\\\BackupServer\dbdump\SERVER_NAME_LogShip\MYDatabase_tlog_200712311905.TRN.    77 file(s) deleted.

Deleting old text reports...    1 file(s) deleted.

End of maintenance plan 'LogShip MYDatabase' on 1/24/2008 10:20:02 AM
    SQLMAINT.EXE Process Exit Code: 1 (Failed)

Can you check whether MYDatabase_tlog_200801241020.TRN file is in use by some other process?? How much retention time you have set to keep the old transactions logs??
    Friday, May 16, 2008 3:16 AM