none
Dell Sonicwall Dynamic Routing Device Support

Answers

• We have been working directly with Dell SonicWall on this issue, and have verified the performance problems to be fixed in firmware SonicOS Enhanced 6.2.2.1-14n--HF150446-3n. IPsec negotiations are no longer failing, and mulit site VPNs with dynamic routing between our NSA devices and Azure VNets are consistently available.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 5:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Cory,

The DELL SonicWall VPN Devices are compatible for Static Routing and not compatible for Dynamic routing.
    In the following link, you could refer the document called 'Configuring SonicOS for MS Windows Azure Tech Note' for the instructions for static routing.

https://support.software.dell.com/sonicwall-nsa-series/release-notes-guides

Meanwhile we will check as to why the dynamic configuration is not compatible and get back to you.
    We appreciate your patience.

Regards,
    Malar.

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 11:26 AM
  • What I am saying is that until November 24 Dell Sonicwall WAS listed as compatible with Dynamic Routing on that page.

The page was updated, and it's not longer compatible. I have an NSA3600 currently connected to Azure via Dynamic Gateway, and I want to ensure that Microsoft isn't planning to pull the rug from under me by making changes to Azure that will prevent me from connecting via that device.

Or perhaps whomever updated the page on November 24 made a mistake. Either way I would like to know what happened.

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 3:47 PM
  • Hi Cory,

The change in the document might have due to the recent changes in the Azure Gateway.
    We are however checking this internally and will get back to you once we get further details.
    Appreciate you patience and sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Regards,
    Malar.

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 10:12 AM
  • Malar,

I also have a similar concern and would like an update on the dynamic routing compatability.

• Edited by Geoffrey O Thursday, December 11, 2014 1:22 PM
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 1:22 PM
  • I need this answer too. I was about ready to pull the trigger on a purchase til I double checked the compatibility and saw it was no longer supported. Wasn't sure if this was due to the upgraded Virtual Network offering just announced. 

Per this link it looks like i does but it doesn't specify an OS version

https://support.software.dell.com/download/downloads?id=5343958

• Edited by DRS14 Friday, December 12, 2014 9:39 PM
    Friday, December 12, 2014 9:31 PM
  • Hi All,

The Device has been removed from the compatibility list for Dynamic Configuration after repeated complaints from customers about intermittent performance.
    On analysis it was gathered that the device works in a dynamic (route-based) mode only when SonicWall VPN initiates the IPSEC negotiations.
    When Azure Gateway initiates the IPSEC negotiations, it fails.

Also DELL's official Website states Route-Based VPN using Tunnel Interface is not supported for third party devices.
    For details you could refer the following link.

https://support.software.dell.com/kb/sw7902

If you still need assistance with the device, you might have to get in touch with DELL Support.

Regards,
    Malar.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 10:29 AM
  • We have been working directly with Dell SonicWall on this issue, and have verified the performance problems to be fixed in firmware SonicOS Enhanced 6.2.2.1-14n--HF150446-3n. IPsec negotiations are no longer failing, and mulit site VPNs with dynamic routing between our NSA devices and Azure VNets are consistently available.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 5:19 PM
  • Cory,

In working with Dell, did they make it clear to you what their intentions are?  Are they planning to officially support dynamic routed VPNs going forward?  Will this support extend back to older devices?  I have an NSA 2400 and 2600, and I'd like to know the official status.

Thanks.

Phil

Wednesday, June 24, 2015 1:57 PM
  • The fix is in firmware Phil. So if you can update the firmware on your older NSA to the version I mentioned above then you should be fine. The official answer I got from Dell was Yes, they absolutely support connecting to Azure with dynamic gateway. We have had no issues since updating the firmware. VPN tunnels are completely stable.
    Wednesday, June 24, 2015 2:42 PM
  • Great, thanks for getting back to me.  I was having issues on the latest General Release (5.9.0.6-3o) on my NSA 2400, but it's since resolved itself.  It's good to know that my 2600 should be stable though since that's what we're moving to.  I'd love to see the aforementioned table updated to show that everything is officially supported.
    Wednesday, June 24, 2015 5:38 PM
  • Hi Cory

Same problem here with SonicWall NSA 3600. Connection to Azure working and stable only with static routing.

Tried SonicOS Enhanced 6.2.2.1-14n--HF150446-3n configured for dynamic routing but IPSEC site VPNs with dynamic routing between our NSA device and Azure VNets are still unstable.

Do you know if there are plans from Microsoft to update the info on compliant dynamic devices? Also can you please share the configuration on the sonicwall just to confirm if we are doing something wrong?

Thanks

JSerrano

Thursday, June 25, 2015 11:20 AM
  • Most likely a config issue. Sonicwall should look like this...

General

Policy Type: Tunnel Interface

Authentication: IKE using Preshared Secret

Phase 1

Exchange: IKEv2 Mode

DH Group: Group 2

Encryption: AES-256

Authentication: SHA1

Life Time: 28800

Phase 2

Protocol: ESP

Encryption: AES-256

Authentication: SHA1

Enable PFS: Unchecked

Life Time: 3600

Advanced

Enable Keep Alive: Checked

Everything else: Unchecked

Monday, June 29, 2015 9:00 PM
  • Hi Joao,

Did Cory's config below help you at all - any update? I am wanting to see if this is resolved, for NSA2600 I am hoping to configure.

Cheers,

Ryan 

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 12:26 AM