Sql Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to use the visual studio for database professionals.  I get the error 26 when I try to import a schema from an existing database.  I am using a database from my local instance.  I test the connection and the test succeeds.  What is causing the error 26?
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 8:11 PM

Answers

• Error 26 indicates that you couldn't find the instance.  The main sources of the problem is:

1 - You typed the wrong instance name

2 - The SQL Browser service hasn't been started on the server

3 - The firewall on the server hasn't been configured to make an exception for sqlbrowser.  see http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345288(SQL.90).aspx

Il-Sung.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 9:12 PM

All replies

• Error 26 indicates that you couldn't find the instance.  The main sources of the problem is:

1 - You typed the wrong instance name

2 - The SQL Browser service hasn't been started on the server

3 - The firewall on the server hasn't been configured to make an exception for sqlbrowser.  see http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345288(SQL.90).aspx

Il-Sung.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 9:12 PM
  • I am having the same issue.

I am creating a new SQL 2005 database project using Visual Studio 2008.

I go thru the wizard,

• select the option to import an existing schema,
    • create a new connection (to a DEV instance on my own machine, but I use the machine name and not (local) ),
    • test it (and it passes),
    • then in the final step, I get the error 26.

I was running SQL Profiler, and I see the connection testing (there are audit login events getting recorded, and "SELECT name FROM master.dbo.sysdatabases WHERE HAS_DBACCESS(name) = 1 ORDER BY name" getting issued to populate the database dropdown). When I click the Finish button in the wizard, there are no events in profiler. It's like it isn't even attempting to connect using the same connection string.

It seems to be a Visual Studio 2008 issue, since I just ran the same scenario on Visual Studio 2005 and I have no problems whatsoever.

Monday, May 5, 2008 11:29 PM
  • I had exactly the same issue, and the resolution/workaround is this:

• Make sure SQL Express or any other edition is installed locally.
    • In VSTS, go
      Menu: Tools -> Options
      then in the tree: Database Tools -> Design-time Validation Database -> Sql Server Instance Name
      Make sure that the textbox is empty or has the name of a valid local SQL instance such as "SQLEXPRESS". A remote instance such as "SERVER\INSTANCE" will not work and cause the error message you described.

Cheers

Maurice

• Proposed as answer by RSully Tuesday, August 11, 2009 7:16 PM
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008 3:58 PM
  • Hi @All,

Best Solution for "Sql Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified".

Step 1: Go to --> Visual Studio or VSTS --> Tools --> Options --> Database Tools --> Data Connections
               Set "SQL Server Instance" as blank for non-SQL Express edition and SQLExpress in other case.

Step 2: Go to --> Visual Studio or VSTS --> Tools --> Options --> Database Tools --> Design Time Validation Database
               Set "SQL Server Instance" as blank for non-SQL Express edition and SQLExpress in other case.

Hence the Solution.

Regards,
    Muhammad Farooq

• Proposed as answer by Bart_K Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:24 PM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 6:10 AM