none
Adventureworks 2014 DB

Question

• I have a question regarding Adventureworks 2014 db

I am missing a table (person.contact) and there is no ContactID in all of the db. I have been struggling to find why this is the case. I have even tried to download the 2012 version but still missing the same table and ID. Some of the other information missing is the EmailAddress from the person.person table (I have to use a JOIN to try out the demos).

I feel like my database may have missing information, which is why I am not able to see a few things. The worst part is that I am studying for exam 70-461 using MVA and PluralSight sources and both these channels use these missing tables/fields heavily for demonstrations.

I will really appreciate if someone can help me get through this nightmare.

Monday, December 05, 2016 11:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• Have you downloaded the "BACKUP" version of the sample DB rather than the script versions?

Refer to https://msftdbprodsamples.codeplex.com/releases/view/125550  for all the sample database options

Martin Cairney SQL Server MVP

Tuesday, December 06, 2016 12:18 AM
  • Hi Martin,

That is correct. I connected using the .bak download

Tuesday, December 06, 2016 4:50 PM
  • Which database exact have you downloaded & setup? There are at least three, which differs in database design

OLTP = Online Transaction Process, a database like a common ERP DB
    DW = Dataware house, for Reporting and as source for SSAS
    LT = Light version

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, December 06, 2016 5:11 PM
  • its In the contact table

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms124714(v=sql.100).aspx

I have downloaded every database I could think of and can't find it.

Tuesday, December 06, 2016 6:23 PM
  • I have the same thing. There is no ContactID column in my AdventureWorks db.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, December 06, 2016 6:23 PM
  • I have tried the the OLTP database as well as the .bak file again to make sure if I did everything correct but still same issues
    Tuesday, December 06, 2016 6:49 PM
  • That DataDictionary doesn't match what I have. I don't remember when and where I downloaded this version, but I do not have Person.Contact table in my AW.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, December 06, 2016 7:15 PM
  • Yup, no Person.Contact table. Plus, no email address in the Person.Person table. They rather have a whole different table for that = Person.EmailAddress. Very confused atm.
    Tuesday, December 06, 2016 7:21 PM
  • It exists in the 2005 version of Adventureworks - which does not reflect highly on your learning materials. But you can get that version from

2005 adventureworks

Tuesday, December 06, 2016 7:27 PM
  • That worked good! At least for the sake of learning. Thanks All
    • Edited by MajShah Tuesday, December 06, 2016 9:30 PM
    Tuesday, December 06, 2016 9:30 PM