none
Unable to Update an Existing Report Model RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have updated, built and deployed a new report services project.
    This has created a new data source on the report server.
    I want to update an exiting report server model from this new data source.
    I go into sql management studio, connect to the report server, right click on the data source and select generate model.

I have tried calling my new model in the generation dialog the same name as the model that currently exists but management studio complains about not being able to create the model because one with the same name already exists.

The only way I had found to general the new model is to delete the existing model and then generate a new one with the same name.

The problem is this breaks the data sources on any existing reports built using report builder.

Can someone give me some ideas of how to generate this new model from a report server data source without breaking existing reports.
    Saturday, July 19, 2008 7:29 AM

Answers

• Hi Sreela,

how different is the data structure of new data source from the old one?

I think you will run into problems if you try to change the data source of existing report model, all your reports CAN get messed up.

My advice would be to create new Model.

Regards

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 7:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Sreela,

Have you tried "Update Model" option?

Sunday, July 20, 2008 4:35 PM
  • Thank you for your response!!

Yes i did. The main issue here when i am trying to update an existing report model.

I made some updates to the data source view to reflect the changing requirements and regenerated the report model with the same name as the pre-existing model so that this new model will incorporate the new updates.

But when i try to update the pre-existing model, it throws that error.

How do i update an existing model without breaking the reports already created by the users using the earlier model?

Thank you,

Sreela

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 5:47 AM
  • Hi Sreela,

how different is the data structure of new data source from the old one?

I think you will run into problems if you try to change the data source of existing report model, all your reports CAN get messed up.

My advice would be to create new Model.

Regards

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 7:44 AM