Virtual Machine Converter 3.1 Cannot Find Certificate with Thumbprint RRS feed

• Question

• I'm attempting to use the Virtual Machine Converter 3.1 to convert a VM to Azure VM.  I am following the steps here:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn874004.aspx
    and I have created a management certificate using the instructions here:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/azure/gg551722.aspx
    and I have uploaded this to my Azure Subscription.  I have verified that the certificate is in my Personal Store, and I have even copied this to the Local Machine Store.  Both Certificates show that they have private keys as expected and the certificate uploaded and shows in the Azure Management Certificates as well.

When I run the MVMC and I provide the Subscription ID and the Certificate Thumbprint I get the message: "No certificate exists with thumbprint XXXXXXXXXXXX...".  I cannot get past this screen to successfully migrate the VM to Azure, does anyone have a recommendation or suggestion?

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 4:10 PM

Answers

•  

Hi David,

Thank you for posting here.

I would suggest you to check a few things :

-> Make sure the certificate is installed in your Local Certificate store and contains a Private Key – which usually can be found in the Personal (or “My”) store name under the Current User certificates by using the Certificates Snap-in with Microsoft Management Console. (You can also use certmgr.exe or write your own code to dump certificate info). (If the certificate exists in your local certificate store then it is probably fine. It is not likely it is missing a Private Key. But it is possible.)

-> Make sure the certificate has been uploaded to the Windows Azure Portal for the SubscriptionId  referenced within Windows Azure Connections.xml.

Regards.

• Proposed as answer by Shreya Hajela Wednesday, May 27, 2015 4:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Shreya Hajela Friday, May 29, 2015 4:22 AM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2015 4:17 AM

All replies

•  

Hi David,

Thank you for posting here.

I would suggest you to check a few things :

-> Make sure the certificate is installed in your Local Certificate store and contains a Private Key – which usually can be found in the Personal (or “My”) store name under the Current User certificates by using the Certificates Snap-in with Microsoft Management Console. (You can also use certmgr.exe or write your own code to dump certificate info). (If the certificate exists in your local certificate store then it is probably fine. It is not likely it is missing a Private Key. But it is possible.)

-> Make sure the certificate has been uploaded to the Windows Azure Portal for the SubscriptionId  referenced within Windows Azure Connections.xml.

Regards.

• Proposed as answer by Shreya Hajela Wednesday, May 27, 2015 4:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Shreya Hajela Friday, May 29, 2015 4:22 AM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2015 4:17 AM
  • https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977336/configure-an-azure-management-certificate-so-that-microsoft-virtual-machine-converter-can-migrate-vms-to-azure

• Edited by Manuel Alves Tuesday, May 9, 2017 8:22 AM
    • Proposed as answer by 8160890 Thursday, May 2, 2019 4:16 PM
    Tuesday, May 9, 2017 8:21 AM
  • This worked for me! 
    Thursday, May 2, 2019 4:17 PM