Error handling for multiple applications RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have multiple applications hosted at different locations.We are planning to log error for all(20+) the applications in one database and eventually have a dashboard for the same.

Now , I am confused which approach will be best :

1- create a webservice(WCF)  connect to centralized database and call the webservice from all the applications to log the error in centralized database.

2- write the logging code/methods in each applications and connect to centralized database , and log the error.

Appreciate your help & reply.

Thanks

Sush

Thursday, April 10, 2014 3:04 PM

Answers

• Hi Sushree,

There is not much differences between the two approaches. I biased in favor of the second approach. Because the second approach just need a common assembly used by all the applications. The first approach need a project and was hosted in IIS. I recommend you have a look at the following link about Log4NET, you can use it easily. http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/140911/log-net-Tutorial.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, April 11, 2014 2:03 AM