SQL Server Management Studio setup failed RRS feed

• Question

• Dear friends,

I've downloaded SQL Server Management Studio (17.0 RC1) over 20 times, but none of them can be installed successfully, only showing a message reading "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable (0x80070570)"
    I've successfully installed SQL Server 2016 Express. However, no Management Studio is included as the last version does. Without the Management Studio, I can do nothing with the local DB, after all, I'm a freshman in SQL Server.
    I'm going to collapse because I can find no clues through the internet at all.

Sunday, December 25, 2016 7:10 AM

Answers

• Hi Carr from Perfect World,

Could you please tell us on which Operation System did you install SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)? Based on my test, I have installed SQL Server Express 2016 on Windows10 Release14393, when I install SSMS 17.0 RC1, it can work. Besides, when did you meet the error message? When you double-click the setup.exe or at the end of installation?

Based on the error message, this issue can occur in the following scenarios:

1. The %TEMP% is corrupted, you can try to check the Windows temp dictionary. You can run %TEMP% to check if this folder exists. Besides, did you run the setup.exe as Administrator?
    2. Please check the MD5 of the installation media, a DNS hijacking or transmission interruption caused by some reasons may lead the broken of installation media for many times in a period of time. The MD5 of this installation media is 7aac8712f137c2974eae2e6fd34ad2dd. You can use Microsoft File Checksum Integrity Verifier to check it.
    3. The file system is broken, please refer to the reply of Vishe.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 26, 2016 2:26 AM

All replies

• run chkdsk and keep setup in local drive

Please Mark it as Answered if it answered your question OR mark it as Helpful if it help you to solve your problem.

• Edited by AV111 Sunday, December 25, 2016 8:57 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Teige Gao Monday, December 26, 2016 1:52 AM
    Sunday, December 25, 2016 8:56 AM
  • Deleted
    Sunday, December 25, 2016 4:00 PM
  • Hi Carr from Perfect World,

Could you please tell us on which Operation System did you install SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)? Based on my test, I have installed SQL Server Express 2016 on Windows10 Release14393, when I install SSMS 17.0 RC1, it can work. Besides, when did you meet the error message? When you double-click the setup.exe or at the end of installation?

Based on the error message, this issue can occur in the following scenarios:

1. The %TEMP% is corrupted, you can try to check the Windows temp dictionary. You can run %TEMP% to check if this folder exists. Besides, did you run the setup.exe as Administrator?
    2. Please check the MD5 of the installation media, a DNS hijacking or transmission interruption caused by some reasons may lead the broken of installation media for many times in a period of time. The MD5 of this installation media is 7aac8712f137c2974eae2e6fd34ad2dd. You can use Microsoft File Checksum Integrity Verifier to check it.
    3. The file system is broken, please refer to the reply of Vishe.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 26, 2016 2:26 AM
  • Hi Teige,

I've tested the MD5s of the 27 medias with the tool you suggested. It is astonishing that None of them are the same! I cannot believe it! I've never met this situation with the same network. It seems my first time to download something from MSDN,and I guess I can never get an undamaged media through MSDN.

Thank you so much!

Monday, December 26, 2016 4:27 AM
  • I have kind f the same problem when trying to install ssms 17.4 on windows 10 PC. to installation wont work I get this error The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable (0x80070570)"
    Tuesday, January 2, 2018 4:21 PM