none
Where is the documentation on internal procs

Question

• Hi

Where do I find the documentation on SSAS(DM) internal calls.  Example

CALL System.Microsoft.AnalysisServices.System.DataMining.AssociationRules.GetItemsets('Assoc MBA', 0, 1999, 5, 3, 250, 'Road Bottle Cage', false)

The "0, 1999, 5" escape me.  I can get the rest.

I have looked in BOL and zip and also googled but not a whole load better.

Thanks

Sunday, December 21, 2008 9:34 PM

Answers

• The stored procedures were intended as an internal tool to help the Data Mining Viewers, so the documentation is scarce at best.
    Here is the list of parameters for the GetItemsets stored procedure:
    - miningModel ('Assoc MBA' in your case)
    - start -- the first itemset to be returned, for itemsets pagination (0, in your case)
    - end -- the last itemset to be returned, for itemsets pagination (1999, in your case)
    - the sort order of the itemsets, as an integer representation of the enumeration below:
         public enum AssociationSortOrder
         {
          AscendingProbability   = 0,
          DescendingProbability   = 1,
          AscendingLift     = 2,
          DescendingLift     = 3,
          AscendingSupport    = 4,
          DescendingSupport    = 5,
          AscendingItemsetLength    = 6,
          DescendingItemsetLength   = 7,
          AscendingLexicographical  = 8,
          DescendingLexicographical = 9,
         }
    Therefore, 5, in your case, means that the itemsets should be returned sorted by the support in descending order
    - the minimum size of returned itemsets (3, in your example)
    - the minimum support of returned itemsets (250, in your example)
    - filter to be applied to the itemsets -- a .Net regular expression to be used as a filter on the returned itemsets ('Road Bottle Cage' in your example)
    - a boolean flag telling whether the nested table name should be stripped from the textual representation of the itemset -- this maps to the Short Name UI checkbox (false, in your case)

bogdan crivat [sql server data mining] / http://www.bogdancrivat.net/dm
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 6:57 PM

All replies

• The stored procedures were intended as an internal tool to help the Data Mining Viewers, so the documentation is scarce at best.
    Here is the list of parameters for the GetItemsets stored procedure:
    - miningModel ('Assoc MBA' in your case)
    - start -- the first itemset to be returned, for itemsets pagination (0, in your case)
    - end -- the last itemset to be returned, for itemsets pagination (1999, in your case)
    - the sort order of the itemsets, as an integer representation of the enumeration below:
         public enum AssociationSortOrder
         {
          AscendingProbability   = 0,
          DescendingProbability   = 1,
          AscendingLift     = 2,
          DescendingLift     = 3,
          AscendingSupport    = 4,
          DescendingSupport    = 5,
          AscendingItemsetLength    = 6,
          DescendingItemsetLength   = 7,
          AscendingLexicographical  = 8,
          DescendingLexicographical = 9,
         }
    Therefore, 5, in your case, means that the itemsets should be returned sorted by the support in descending order
    - the minimum size of returned itemsets (3, in your example)
    - the minimum support of returned itemsets (250, in your example)
    - filter to be applied to the itemsets -- a .Net regular expression to be used as a filter on the returned itemsets ('Road Bottle Cage' in your example)
    - a boolean flag telling whether the nested table name should be stripped from the textual representation of the itemset -- this maps to the Short Name UI checkbox (false, in your case)

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 6:57 PM
  • Thanks Bogdan although a shame as well.  I personally hate it when an application makes calls that a user has to "guess at".  They do have other uses besides just helping your viewers.  What is I wanted to create my own cluster diagram in my own .Net web app.  I would call one of your internal procs for example.

CALL System.ARGetNodeGraph('[Assoc MBA]', 60)

This would allow me to see the clusters and the edges nicely.

Friday, January 02, 2009 9:11 AM
  • Allan, we recently started a series of blog postings covering the behavior of the data mining built-in viewers. Among other topics, we document the stored procedure calls made from the viewers. You can find this information at http://www.sqldataminingbook.com/dmbook/

Tuesday, January 06, 2009 8:25 AM
  • Thanks Bogdan.

I have seen this site before and liked very much Jamie's "Kid food predictor" article.  I will keep an eye open for more of the routines going up on the site.
    Tuesday, January 06, 2009 9:36 AM