none
Client failing to access the SSRS 2008 SP1 Report manager URL with Access Denied error 401.3:

    Question

  • Client failing to access the SSRS 2008 Report manager URL with Access Denied error 401.3:

     

    When our user tries to connect through browser or application from the client machine to SSRS 2008 report manager URL, the user gets the following error:

     

    Access is denied.

    Description: An error occurred while accessing the resources required to serve this request. You might not have permission to view the requested resources.

    Error message 401.3: You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied (access denied due to Access Control Lists). Ask the Web server's administrator to give you access.

     



    Environment Information:

    SQL Server 2008 (64 bit) along with SSRS and SSIS is installed on a 64 bit machine Running Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard, 64 Edition, SP 2

    Reporting services is running under a domain account and the browser service is running under the LocalSystem

     

    The AD domain groups have been added at the Home folder in SSRS report manager to have “Browse”, “Publisher” and “Report Builder” access.

     

    Any idea, what could be the issue? Thanks.

     

    Monday, July 19, 2010 3:56 AM

Answers

  • Hi JillWick,

    Based on your post, this is permissions issue. To solve it, add the Read & Execute permissions for the domain users/Authenticated Users to the reporting services directory and all subfield and subdirectories. The root cause might be lack of permissions to SQL Server Reporting Services web.config.

    please let me know if you have more questions.

    thanks,
    Jerry

    • Marked as answer by JillWick Thursday, July 22, 2010 2:58 AM
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 2:56 AM
    Moderator

All replies

  • For giving access permission to a user you have to add that user through reportmanager

     

    if you want to add user or groups.  Open reportmanager from http://<yourservername>/reportmanager or http://<yourservername>/reports...

     

    then click on Site Setting in the upper right hand of the screen. Towards the bottom of the Site Settings screen you'll find three links under a security heading. Configure on 'Configure site wide security' to bring yourself to the New Role Assignment screen. 

    Click on New Role Assignment and add username with specific roles .  these steps provide access to the specified users.

     

    Monday, July 19, 2010 4:09 AM
  • It looks like user setup issues to me as well, did you check to see if you setup users/groups correctly?  The min requirement is "Browser" role.

    It could be also due to the user doesn't have permission the specific folders (e.g. UNC path folders).

    For more info please see the links below:

    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/thread/a2718ea5-9654-4d48-9d80-ce3f8ab16ffb/

    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/thread/8699009d-dd56-4a21-b2a3-440b49acab06/

    Hope this helps!


    Thanks, Michael Mei
    Monday, July 19, 2010 4:57 AM
  • Sorry Razyee we have already tried this.  With no luck.  We have been using 2005 SSRS for the past three years without any of these issues.  We are running 2005 and 2008 on the same server could this be our issue?

     

    Monday, July 19, 2010 11:54 PM
  • Have you tried with "Bypass traverse checking"?

    "Bypass traverse checking" was allowed only for the administrator group, for more info:

    http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2005/10/19/the-bypass-traverse-checking-or-is-it-the-change-notify-privilege.aspx

    Hope this helps!


    Thanks, Michael Mei
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 12:02 AM
  • Sorry Michael, our Bypass traverse checking permissions are OK.
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 4:29 AM
  • Hi JillWick,

    Based on your post, this is permissions issue. To solve it, add the Read & Execute permissions for the domain users/Authenticated Users to the reporting services directory and all subfield and subdirectories. The root cause might be lack of permissions to SQL Server Reporting Services web.config.

    please let me know if you have more questions.

    thanks,
    Jerry

    • Marked as answer by JillWick Thursday, July 22, 2010 2:58 AM
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 2:56 AM
    Moderator
  • Thanks Jerry,

    This did the trick.

    Jill

     

    Thursday, July 22, 2010 2:59 AM
  • This post was helpful to me.  We upgraded to 2008 R2 and ran into this issue afterwards.  I added Authenticated Users, but I struggled with how to actually apply the perms - which checkboxes had to be set for applying down the tree, etc.  The "Advanced Security Settings" dialog is not the most intuitive thing in the world.  So I tried the "Replace permission entries on all child..." and that seemed to fix it all.  Thanks!!
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:20 PM