none
Version error while executing SSIS package RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting the following error messgae while trying to execute a SSIS package using the dtexec utility.

Microsoft (R) SQL Server Execute Package Utility
    Version 9.00.3042.00 for 64-bit
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1984-2005. All rights reserved.

Started:  4:20:22 AM
    Error: 2008-10-10 04:20:22.59
       Code: 0xC001700A
       Source:
       Description: The version number in the package is not valid. The version number cannot be greater than current version number.
    End Error
       Code: 0xC0016020
       Source:
       Description: Package migration from version 3 to version 2 failed with error 0xC001700A "The version number in the package is no\
    t valid. The version number cannot be greater than current version number.".
    End Error
       Code: 0xC0010018
       Source:
       Description: Error loading value "<DTSStick out tongueroperty xmlnsBig SmileTS="www.microsoft.com/SqlServer/Dts" DTS:Name="PackageFormatVersion">3</D\
    TSStick out tongueroperty>" from node "DTSStick out tongueroperty".
    End Error
    Could not load package "\\dfstxfs3\GlobalShare\SSIS\Production\Reporting\FileMovement\Lexis_Deceased_Customer.dtsx" because of erro\
    r 0xC0010014.
    Description: The package failed to load due to error 0xC0010014 "One or more error occurred. There should be more specific errors p\
    receding this one that explains the details of the errors. This message is used as a return value from functions that encounter err\
    ors.". This occurs when CPackage::LoadFromXML fails.

I have crerated the Packages in Microsfot Visual studio 2008. 

Thanks,

Friday, October 10, 2008 10:25 AM

Answers

• To clarify a bit more, packages created in Visual Studio 2008 are SQL Server 2008 packages. If you have both 2005 and 2008 installed on your system, you'll need to provide the explicit path to the 2008 version of DTEXEC when you run the package:

Code Snippet

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\DTExec.exe"

Monday, October 13, 2008 6:08 PM

All replies

• Hello bnaravind,

Unfortunately you cannt execute 2008 packages on Sql Server 2005 SP2. Try to open and save your package in BIDS 2005.
    Monday, October 13, 2008 12:34 PM
    Answerer
  • To clarify a bit more, packages created in Visual Studio 2008 are SQL Server 2008 packages. If you have both 2005 and 2008 installed on your system, you'll need to provide the explicit path to the 2008 version of DTEXEC when you run the package:

Code Snippet

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\DTExec.exe"

Monday, October 13, 2008 6:08 PM
  • I have also gone through the same problem.

The reason is that the sql server machine on which the package is being run has a different edition than the machine on which these packages were developed. In my case, I developed my package on Developer Edition and was executing on SP2. Just open your package on the same machine and compile and close the package. After that you can create Deployment Utility from the same machine.

This deployment utility can be used for the installation of the package.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 2:19 AM
  • Same problem as well.

Development machine with SQL Server 2005 / BIDS 2005 and SQL Server 2008 / BIDS 2008

Steps :
    1. Create a package with 2005 with package configuration
    2. Build the project
    3. Try to deploy it again, altough it states SQL Server 2005 Deploy ... it creates a new file that is only compatible with 2008

Any workaround to select the target version for compilation ?

Thanks

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 12:34 PM
  • You need to have same version of SQL Server on Development and target machine.

Otherwise you can:

1. Open the project in Business Intelligence studio in the target machine.

2. Build it again and then

3. Create a deployment package.

4. Install it on the same machine.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 12:40 PM
  •  GH@Elca wrote:
    Same problem as well.

Development machine with SQL Server 2005 / BIDS 2005 and SQL Server 2008 / BIDS 2008

Steps :
    1. Create a package with 2005 with package configuration
    2. Build the project
    3. Try to deploy it again, altough it states SQL Server 2005 Deploy ... it creates a new file that is only compatible with 2008

Any workaround to select the target version for compilation ?

Thanks

Instead of using a deployment manifest, try just copying the .DTSX file to the target server, and run it from the file system using the correct version of DTEXEC. What happens when you do that?

FYI - Building packages doesn't really do anything - there is no compilation involved.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 1:22 PM
  • JWelsh wrote:

"Instead of using a deployment manifest, try just copying the .DTSX file to the target server, and run it from the file system using the correct version of DTEXEC. What happens when you do that?"

By deployment manifest to you include .dtsConfig files as well?

When I run the package through a DOS prompt as follows:
    dtexec /FILE "H:\Deployment\McAfee\McAfee.dtsx" /CONFIGFILE "H:\Deployment\McAfee\McAfee.dtsConfig"  /MAXCONCURRENT " -1 " /CHECKPOINTING OFF  /REPORTING ECDI
    I receive the same error, and the developer has confirmed that the package was created in SQL 2008 BIDS; however, the server is running SQL 2005 version 9.00.4035.

Thursday, June 10, 2010 3:36 PM
  • I have recently downloaded a new SQL 2012 eval edition.  I have worked with SQL Server since version 4.3 (when it was essentially Sybase).   I have extensive experience with 2005, 2008 and R2.

I have created some very simple SSIS packages (saved to file system) USING 2012, and when I attempt to execute these packages from the file system I get this same error (but, of course I am creating and executing on the same version/edition).  

A 2012 Bug?

-Mark Blackburn

Mare Island, CA

Mark S Blackburn Honolulu, Hawaii

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 8:24 PM
  • I have recently downloaded a new SQL 2012 eval edition.  I have worked with SQL Server since version 4.3 (when it was essentially Sybase).   I have extensive experience with 2005, 2008 and R2.

I have created some very simple SSIS packages (saved to file system) USING 2012, and when I attempt to execute these packages from the file system I get this same error (but, of course I am creating and executing on the same version/edition).  

A 2012 Bug?

-Mark Blackburn

Mare Island, CA

Mark S Blackburn Honolulu, Hawaii

With the same version as you, I've been having the same exact issue. I can execute it from VS BIDS without issue. if I use "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\DTExecUI.exe" it fails with "
       Description: The version number in the package is not valid. The version number cannot be greater than current version number."  I tried to create a job to execute it at first and I get " This message is used as a return value from functions that encounter errors.". This occurs when CPackage::LoadFromXML fails." Why does this have to be PITA.
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 5:30 PM