none
SSRS Log file errors - Shrink notification can be sent to appdomain RRS feed

• Question

• Environment: SQL 2016, Microsoft Power BI Report Server Version 15.0.2.402

We have a clustered production environment with 2 report server. Both have 16gb memory. Reports usually run faster in node 2 and slower in node 1. While comparing report execution numbers, node 1 always has much higher Processing time compared to node 2. Data retrieval and rendering is identical. I looked at the reportserver logs and found out that node 1 is logging multiple "shrink notification" errors per second. 

appdomainmanager!DefaultDomain!16c8!08/14/2019-07:48:18:: i INFO: Shrink notification can be sent to appdomain 'WindowsService_447' (id = '883') since it is being unloaded now or it is marked for an upcoming unload operation 

appdomainmanager!DefaultDomain!16c8!08/14/2019-07:48:18:: i INFO: Shrink notification can be sent to appdomain 'ReportServer_PBIRS_0-435-132102342967666370' (id = '884') since it is being unloaded now or it is marked for an upcoming unload operation

Could you help me narrow down the problem? 

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 2:23 PM

All replies

• Hi pvm25,

Have you checked the memory limit of the server in node1 ? You could change it with Configuration settings for memory management.

You could compare the configuration files of the two server, see the setting difference between them.

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 15, 2019 2:01 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Lucas. I checked config file for both the nodes and they are identical. 

So far it looks like memory issue on the node 1 for processes other than reporting services after reading this blog.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/psssql/2015/01/29/troubleshooting-memory-issues-with-reporting-services/

Our log file also has this warning: WARN: Pagination Scalability -- Memory Shrink Request Received

Thursday, August 15, 2019 11:27 AM
  • Have you run any other memory high consuming software or server on Node 1 such as SQL server or some web server? If so we would suggest to limit the memory use or move them to new machine.

Or we could monitor the performance and memory consumption of ssrs on Node1 . Performance monitoring.

Regards,

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 16, 2019 8:09 AM