none
Schedule copy data to Azure SQL Database Tables from external SQL Database Tables (with same Table Name and Fields) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have one SQL Database in Azure and another in external location (out of Azure). I want to create a schedule that will copy data from the external Database tables to the Azure Database identical tables (same tables and fields, database name is different). The schedule will run everyday or twice a day.

Could anyone please help on this?

Thanks.

Wednesday, June 6, 2018 9:56 AM

Answers

• It would depend on whether you want to add the records as new or update the matching records in SQL DB.

If you wanted to replace the matching records in SQL DB then look at Azure Data Sync with a one-way sync from the external tables to SQL DB.

If you want to append the records then Data Sync is not what you want. IN that case I'd look at doing a push from your external one maybe using SSIS.

Martin Cairney SQL Server MVP

• Marked as answer by pointtoshare Saturday, June 9, 2018 6:15 PM
    Wednesday, June 6, 2018 1:38 PM
  • Hi pointtoshare,

Thanks for posting here.

Per your post, it seems that you would like to copy data from the external database tables to Azure database tables. For this purpose, I have done some research and find a proper article which is talking about SQL Server to Azure SQL Database data movement options.  Please see:

SQL Server to Azure SQL Database data movement options and considerations with changing schemas and triggered refreshes

From this article, you could choose the most proper one of methods to achieve your requirements.

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 7, 2018 7:32 AM

All replies

• It would depend on whether you want to add the records as new or update the matching records in SQL DB.

If you wanted to replace the matching records in SQL DB then look at Azure Data Sync with a one-way sync from the external tables to SQL DB.

If you want to append the records then Data Sync is not what you want. IN that case I'd look at doing a push from your external one maybe using SSIS.

Martin Cairney SQL Server MVP

Wednesday, June 6, 2018 1:38 PM
  • Hi pointtoshare,

Thanks for posting here.

Per your post, it seems that you would like to copy data from the external database tables to Azure database tables. For this purpose, I have done some research and find a proper article which is talking about SQL Server to Azure SQL Database data movement options.  Please see:

SQL Server to Azure SQL Database data movement options and considerations with changing schemas and triggered refreshes

From this article, you could choose the most proper one of methods to achieve your requirements.

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 7, 2018 7:32 AM