none
why do I use SQL Server Management Studio to update a row of a table in SQL Server 2005 but it's not row was update ? RRS feed

• Question

• A few days ago me to use SQL Server Management Studio to update a table in Microsoft SQL Server 2005. In Object Explorer, you right-click the name of the table, and then I click Open Table. I update a row of the table normal but now I do it again. I may receive one of the following error messages unexpectedly in the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio dialog box:

No row was updated
    The data in row 61 was not committed
    The statement has bên terminated
    Correct the errors and retry or press ESC to cancel the change(s).

You see the attached image file: https://imgur.com/AGunmMF

Monday, February 10, 2020 7:03 AM

All replies

• What is the column data type and it's length for which you are updating data? Looks like your data length is more than the data type length.. Try to alter the column and increase the length.

If the response helped, do "Mark as answer" and upvote it
    - Vaibhav

Monday, February 10, 2020 9:31 AM
  • Hi lamtriendong,

Please check the data type and length of the updating data is meet the requirement of the column as Vaibhav.Chaudhari mentioned.

Did you try to use T-SQL updating the table? Please refer to UPDATE (Transact-SQL) and INSERT (Transact-SQL).

As of April 12, 2016, Microsoft will no longer support Microsoft SQL Server 2005. You can check the information from here. Microsoft will no longer release security updates for SQL Server 2005. Don't let your infrastructure and applications go unprotected. So we suggest you upgrade your SQL server 2005 to newer version. Please refer to Demo - Upgrade SQL Server 2005 to 2014.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, February 11, 2020 4:46 AM
  • My data type is datetime, if I use SQL statement to update the data normally but if I edit directly from the table, the above error will be displayed, watch the video I attached http://www.mediafire.com/file/cd14ia98zsfp3v2/NoUpdateSQL.swf/file

UPDATE Article
    SET PostDate = '2019/03/28 02:43:08'
    WHERE ArticleID = 107;

Wednesday, February 12, 2020 7:37 AM
  • My data type is datetime, if I use SQL statement to update the data normally but if I edit directly from the table, the above error will be displayed, watch the video I attached http://www.mediafire.com/file/cd14ia98zsfp3v2/NoUpdateSQL.swf/file

UPDATE Article
    SET PostDate = '2019/03/28 02:43:08'
    WHERE ArticleID = 107;

Hi lamtriendong,

From your description, it seems you can update the table using T-SQL. Is it right? It seems a good news.
    I can’t open the video that you shared. Could you please share us the screenshot about your issue.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, February 13, 2020 9:56 AM
  • You see my attached photo file 

Friday, February 14, 2020 2:25 AM
  • Hi lamtriendong,

SQL server 2005 is out of support, I suggest you upgrade it to an newer version as I mentioned above.

Did you try to restart the SSMS? You can try to use the latest version SSMS 18.4, you can get it from here. SSMS can be installed side by side on same server.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 9:33 AM
  • the message does not tell you if there's a problem with PostDate.

what does SQL Profiler show? is there any trigger on that table? does it happen only on the row with ArticleID=107?

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 10:25 AM