none
VSS based backup failes because of SQLWriter Event 24583

Question

• When I try to do a VSS based backup of a Windows 2008 SP2 server that has both SQL Server 2005 and instances of SQLExpress, I get the following error;

Event ID 24583, Source SQLWriter, with an error message stating "Error Message: Unable to open the physical file 'c:\websites\dotnetnuke\app_data\datebase.mdf'. Operating system error 3 '3(the system cannot find the file specified)'"

The path and file being referenced was set during a default installation of DotNetNuke 5. It uses SQLExpress and that was the default path I used during the install. I later changed the location of the website on the same server, which changed the path to the database.mdf file. The DotNetNule website has been working fine for over 6 months and I have built out related components to where I can't just put the website back in the same path as the default install.

When the problem first started, I opened SSMS and noticed that there were no databases listed with the path of c:\websites\dotnetnuke\app_data\datebase.mdf

I do not know where the VSS Based backup is finding the old path information so I can change or remove it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dave

Saturday, October 02, 2010 4:58 PM

All replies

•  

Hi Dcadler,

From your post, I conclude that you had changed the file path of DotNetNuke 5, but when you did a VSS based backup of Windows 2008 SP2 Server, the VSS based backup still looked for the old path. But in fact, there already had no file under the old path, that's the reason you got an error message. Is this true? If I am misunderstanding you, please kindly correct me.

From your description, it looks like a problem about VSS(Volume Shadow Copy), so would you please go to Windows Server TechCenter > Windows Server Forums to see if they can help.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Grace

Please kindly mark the answer if it is a workaround. Thanks a lot *^_^*
    Monday, October 04, 2010 9:17 AM