none
how to pass multiple dtsconfig to child package call RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

I have a job/step that call a Fileprocessor.dtsx package with 4 different config files. I need to make a enhancement to the job to call the same package using a new (parent) package with multiple iterations based on some business condition.

So I am going to modify the job/step to call ParentFileprocessor now with same all 4 config files which in-turn have a call to run  Fileprocessor.dtsx; my problem is, how do I pass all 4 config files for child call? Using which task?

I m not allowed to modify Fileproessor.dtsx (to be child pkg)

SQL2012, MSDB package deployment model.

Thanks in adv..

Mahesh

• Edited by Mahesh Dasari Tuesday, November 24, 2015 11:55 AM listed version
    Tuesday, November 24, 2015 2:31 AM

Answers

• Hi Mahesh,

You can have several jobs and call them conditionally, each set to operate off a different config.

E.g. if you revise the command line of a job to plug in a specific config with dtexec 's /conf switch https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/1812/dtexec-command-line-parameters-using-command-files/ it may work

Arthur

MyBlog

Twitter

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 4:40 PM
  • Thank you Arthur; following your tip this what I have done:

Created a cmdconfig myconfig.txt, which contained all my /CONFIG setting to be used in both parent and passed to child pkg

In Job step:

/SQL ParentFileProcessor.dtsx  /SERVER localhost  /COMMANDFILE c:\ssis\myconfig.txt  /SET CMDConfigFile;c:\ssis\myconfig.txt  (used the same to set to a variable)

In ParentFileProcessor package execute process task:

dtexec "/SQL ChildFileprocessor.dtsx /SERVER localhost "+ CMDConfigFile  (exp variable as argument)

This way I was able to use all config settings in parent package and pass the same to child pkg too.

Thank you!

Mahesh

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 8:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Mahesh,

You can have several jobs and call them conditionally, each set to operate off a different config.

E.g. if you revise the command line of a job to plug in a specific config with dtexec 's /conf switch https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/1812/dtexec-command-line-parameters-using-command-files/ it may work

Arthur

MyBlog

Twitter

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 4:40 PM
  • Thank you Arthur; following your tip this what I have done:

Created a cmdconfig myconfig.txt, which contained all my /CONFIG setting to be used in both parent and passed to child pkg

In Job step:

/SQL ParentFileProcessor.dtsx  /SERVER localhost  /COMMANDFILE c:\ssis\myconfig.txt  /SET CMDConfigFile;c:\ssis\myconfig.txt  (used the same to set to a variable)

In ParentFileProcessor package execute process task:

dtexec "/SQL ChildFileprocessor.dtsx /SERVER localhost "+ CMDConfigFile  (exp variable as argument)

This way I was able to use all config settings in parent package and pass the same to child pkg too.

Thank you!

Mahesh

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 8:50 PM