none
No workaround solution for SQL 2016 sp1 SQLLocalDB versions errors with "Windows API call "RegGetValueW" returned error code: RRS feed

• Question

• The problem

When SQL LocalDB 2016 is updated to Service Pack 1 + Cumulative Updates it will generate an error at the command line "Windows API call "RegGetValueW" returned error code: 0."

This thread has been created to complement the a thread with the same error but with a work around.  The referenced thread is going to have the workaround marked as an answer to make that information available. The workaround is not a solution that can work for all uses of SQL LocalDB deployments.  It is an answer that will require you to perform your own quality assurance that it does work and has no guarantee new service pack or upgrades may expect the workaround 

This thread is the stating the same problem but with an intent to be able to mark an answer that can provide more information making decisions based upon the answer. 

This thread is here to indicate

• A Service Pack or Cumulative Update for SQL LocalDB 2016 will resolve the problem. 
    • if the answer is SQL LocalDB 2016 will not have the problem fixed.
    • If the answer is to transition to SQL LocalDB 2017 (which I have no knowledge about at the time of this writing)

Disclosure,

I do not work for Microsoft or have a close insight into the situation of this issue.  I may not be able to provide the resolution if one is available.  

Please post any relevant answer to the thread and we will get it marked as an answer.   The MSDN forums do not like lingering threads. 

Thanks fellow developers!!

-Mark

Sunday, April 30, 2017 5:37 PM

All replies

• Hi .MARK,

In your previous thread, I have reproduced this problem and reported it to the Product Team. The feedback I got from them is that they are handling this problem.

Releasing a Service Pack or Cumulative Update requires some time for testing and working. I will connect with them asking for the process.

Best Regards,

Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 1, 2017 5:46 AM
  • So, it is November 2018.  I recently patched VS 2017 and SSMS, both to the latest available version.

This problem still exists!

The fix for me was as per CSharpSchipper's answer:

1. sqllocaldb d MSSQLLocalDB
    2. sqllocaldb c MSSQLLocalDB

Dave

Thursday, November 29, 2018 12:34 AM