none
Create Login fails... new build of machine RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have just rebuilt my development machine and have a fresh instasll of SQL Express 2010 with Management Studio R2.

I am feeling rather stupid at thsi time as I am unable to create a new SQL Login and have it work.  I have tried everyting and it still fails to login using SQL.  If I use Windows authority it works fine.

Anyone got any suggestion or thought as to what I am doing wrong or missing I'de be grateful.

Thanks
    Phill

SquireDude
    Monday, January 16, 2012 7:18 PM

Answers

• In case you missed Sean's point: In Object Explorer, right-click the server itself, select Properties and Select the Properties page. On the top you can select between Windows authentication only, or Mixed authentication. You need to restart SQL Server for the change to take effect, I believe.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    • Marked as answer by SquireDude Monday, January 16, 2012 11:03 PM
    Monday, January 16, 2012 10:42 PM
  • Hi,

I am no Express guru but I believe SQL Express by default does not configure for mixed authentication i.e. Windows authentication and SQL authentication. Check the authentication mode is set for both Windows and SQL authentication for your instance.

Sean Massey | Consultant, iUNITE

Feel free to contact me through My Blog or Twitter.
    Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

Monday, January 16, 2012 9:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am no Express guru but I believe SQL Express by default does not configure for mixed authentication i.e. Windows authentication and SQL authentication. Check the authentication mode is set for both Windows and SQL authentication for your instance.

Monday, January 16, 2012 9:21 PM
  • Hi Sean,

Thanks for the response.  I believe that you are correct you can only go one way or the other Windows or SQL Authentication.

I am using SQL Authentication for my apps.

From within the Management Studio you can login multiple times with different users and each login can be either Windows or SQL Logins.

Thanks

SquireDude
    Monday, January 16, 2012 10:08 PM
  • Yes. You should be able to start SSMS multiple times and login once with Windows auth and multiple diff SQL authentication users.

Monday, January 16, 2012 10:20 PM
  • In case you missed Sean's point: In Object Explorer, right-click the server itself, select Properties and Select the Properties page. On the top you can select between Windows authentication only, or Mixed authentication. You need to restart SQL Server for the change to take effect, I believe.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Monday, January 16, 2012 10:42 PM