none
SQL Error 17187 Severity: 16, State: 1 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

We updated our SQL server 2012 to latest service pack(SP2) after that we are getting the following connection issue, I really appreciate everyone please provide suitable information on how to troubleshoot this issue. Kindly provide proper steps in order to resolve this.

#Issue

SQL Server is not ready to accept new client connections. Wait a few minutes before trying again. If you have access to the error log, look for the informational message that indicates that SQL Server is ready before trying to connect again.  [CLIENT: ----------IP------]

Thanks

DBA

Thursday, December 18, 2014 1:22 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Seems the database engine stucks in upgrade process and until this hasn't finished, no one can connect to SQL Server.

Open the ErrorLog file of the SQL Server in a text editor and go down to the end of the log so see if there is a progress of the update.

At the end you get such a message:

SQL Server is now ready for client connections. This is an informational message; no user action is required.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, December 18, 2014 1:28 PM
  • Hi Olaf,

Currently I'm accessing the SQL Server, but as I verified the error log the above messages are getting frequently.

Do you mean still problem with Service pack update, as I know when I updated to SP2 it shows 'successfully updated' message.

Thanks

DBA

Thursday, December 18, 2014 1:32 PM
  • No, if it would stuck in update process, then directly after starting the SQL Server service, not in between.

Is may be the count of connections Limit in Server Settings, so that SQL Server rejects new connections?

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, December 18, 2014 1:38 PM
  • Why do you raised similar thread . Don't do that it utter waste of time responding on same thread. Post complete errorlog here I guess you are unnecessarily worrying.

What is current status can you connect ?

Olaf can you please merge the threads

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Thursday, December 18, 2014 2:11 PM
  • Hi dbadays,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone more familiar with this topic for a further look at this issue. Sometime delay might be expected from the job transferring. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,
    Michelle Li

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 5:31 AM
  • Can you paste your error log information here?

It will take some time during the SQL service start up, if you have any connections during its start up process, you may receive this error. You mentioned you can access SQL now, so I wonder whether it is caused by this.

Friday, December 26, 2014 2:26 AM
  • Maybe SQL server service has stopped after upgrading. You should go to windows service, check for Sql Server if it stops ----> right click ----> start.

----------------------------------------------

Hope above help !

Doanh

Friday, December 26, 2014 4:18 AM
  • I still think it was just unnecessary worrying by OP. Had it been issue he would have responded. SQL Server might take some time to come up depending upon crash recovery it had to do and process can be much slow in standard edition.

I have seen similar posts by OP he is quite new and is still in learning phase so I guess he was just curious. It would be good if he replied back.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Friday, December 26, 2014 8:20 PM