none
SQL server 2012 after change IP address not listen on port 1433 and 1434 RRS feed

• Question

• SQL server 2012 after change subnet and IP address in site not listen on port 1433 and 1434. I find in SSCM | SQL Server Network Configuration | Protocol for SQLEXPRESS | TCP/IP | IP Address part IP4 old IP address. I change this address on current address. But SQL still not listen..

Friday, February 15, 2013 5:12 PM

Answers

• If you are listening on TCP, the SQL Server error log should have something like:
    Server is listening on [ 'any' <ipv4> 1433].

If you are listening on named pipes, the SQL Server error log should have something like:
    Server named pipe provider is ready to accept connection on [ \\.\pipe\sql\query ].

If you don't have these, then you are (probably) not listening on any remote protocol. Use SQL Server Configuration Manager to toggle TCP and/or named pipes OFF and then ON again, with restarts of the Database Engine.

When SQL Server restarts after Configuration Manager sets them ON, then the Database Engine should pick up the current IP address and port.

If all that fails, then connect locally and lets start looking at the endpoints by examining the sys.endpoints dynamic management view. It's unlikely but possible that all endpoints are disabled or something strange like that.

Rick Byham, Microsoft, SQL Server Books Online, Implies no warranty

Friday, February 15, 2013 10:51 PM
  • UDP port 1434 is used by SQL browser service.

1) Check the SQL server port number on which it is runing. You can check ti from SQL server configuration manager.

2) Check & ensure SQL browser service is runing

Regards,
    Rohit Garg
    (My Blog)
    This posting is provided with no warranties and confers no rights.
    Please remember to click Mark as Answerand Vote as Helpfulon posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, February 18, 2013 7:04 PM

All replies

• At the start of the error log, (20-40 lines after startup) the error log will have several entries that describe the ports and IP addresses that SQL Server thinks you are using. Those might surprise you. At least it's worth a look. Have you stopped and restarted the Database Engine since all this happened? (Of course I guess you have.)

Friday, February 15, 2013 9:07 PM
  • with event log and log MSSQL in program files isnt any record with IP address :( no error and warning,  all db work, only not listen on port 1433 and 1434.  Restart SQL Services or Server nothing change.
    Friday, February 15, 2013 9:39 PM
  • If you are listening on TCP, the SQL Server error log should have something like:
    Server is listening on [ 'any' <ipv4> 1433].

If you are listening on named pipes, the SQL Server error log should have something like:
    Server named pipe provider is ready to accept connection on [ \\.\pipe\sql\query ].

If you don't have these, then you are (probably) not listening on any remote protocol. Use SQL Server Configuration Manager to toggle TCP and/or named pipes OFF and then ON again, with restarts of the Database Engine.

When SQL Server restarts after Configuration Manager sets them ON, then the Database Engine should pick up the current IP address and port.

If all that fails, then connect locally and lets start looking at the endpoints by examining the sys.endpoints dynamic management view. It's unlikely but possible that all endpoints are disabled or something strange like that.

Friday, February 15, 2013 10:51 PM
  • Yes in event log is record Server local connection provider is ready to accept connection on [ \\.\pipe\SQLLocal\SQLEXPRESS ]. and next Server named pipe provider is ready to accept connection on [ \\.\pipe\MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS\sql\query ].

netstat -a listen only ports

UDP    0.0.0.0:1434           *:*            

UDP    [::]:1434              *:*         

I tried change TCP and/or named pipes OFF and then ON again and restarts of the Database Engine but nothing has change.

I not know whether SQL server listen on these ports after install. After change IP range aplication develeper send my message about problem :(

Saturday, February 16, 2013 8:53 AM
  • UDP port 1434 is used by SQL browser service.

1) Check the SQL server port number on which it is runing. You can check ti from SQL server configuration manager.

2) Check & ensure SQL browser service is runing

Regards,
    Rohit Garg
    (My Blog)
    This posting is provided with no warranties and confers no rights.
    Please remember to click Mark as Answerand Vote as Helpfulon posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, February 18, 2013 7:04 PM