none
ODBC Driver Example Code RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to Microsoft and have been tasked with writting and ODBC Driver.

I've looked through the MSDN site and found a number of articles that discuss ODBC Driver development. I've read through the ODBC API reference manual and have a pretty good idea what needs to be done.

What I need to move forward is to find some example code that I can look at. An article that identifies the steps to creating and deploying an ODBC driver would be great!

Does anyone know where I can find some ODBC Driver example code? Would it help if I had an MSDN Subscription?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Thursday, December 20, 2007 8:09 PM

Answers

• No time scale has been identified. At this point managment is asking me if this is something I can do, and if so how long will it take. Without additional information it will be hard for me to give them an accurate estimate of the effort.

Looking at Open Source code is a good suggestion - Thanks.

- Matt

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 1:07 PM

All replies

•  

I would have a look at the source to some of the open source drivers. However you should be aware that the quality may vary, and they may or not implement ODBC 3.x

Out of interest, what time scale have you been allocated to write the driver, and just how complete does it need to be?

I ask, as its simple enough to write the first 33% of a driver, the next 33% gets hard, and many drivers don't have the final 33% at all. I often find that the work required writing a driver is somewhat underestimated, there are many times when people find the price of our commercial drivers they respond with "How much?, at that price we may as well write our own" but I am never sure how many actually manage it :-)

--

Nick

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 11:43 AM
  • No time scale has been identified. At this point managment is asking me if this is something I can do, and if so how long will it take. Without additional information it will be hard for me to give them an accurate estimate of the effort.

Looking at Open Source code is a good suggestion - Thanks.

- Matt

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 1:07 PM