none
SqlRun_Tools.msi install error

Question

• I am trying to install the SQL Management Console.  I have SQL Server 2005 Developer edition.  I understand the console is installed by running SqlRun_Tools.msi from the SQL Server 2005 disks.  I am trying to install the console on Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit with SP1.  I also tried this on a different Win7 computer that did not have SP1 installed without any luck.

When I try to install SqlRun_Tools.msi I get the following error:

Microsoft SQL Server Setup

0:Watson 1:1034 2:StreamSupportFiles 3:streamBinaryToDisk 4:5 5:t:\yukon\sql\setup\darwin\sqlcastub\streamca.cpp 6:238 7:sqlcastub.dll 8:sqlrun.msi

When I click OK to the error message, I also get

Microsoft SQL Server Setup

Error writing to file: Access is denied.

-          Verify that you have access to that directory.

I searched for the ‘yukon\sql\setup…’ directory but could not find it. 

I have tried several things that I have read in several articles, but have not had any luck with the suggestions.  Below is a list of some of the things I have tried:

·         Running SqlRun_Tools.msi from a cmd prompt in the administrator context.

·         Running SqlRun_Tools.msi with UAC off

·         Installing SQLSupport.msi first.

·         Reformatting and installing SqlRun_Tools.msi with out SQL server or any components installed.

·         I ran the Windows Compatibility Troubleshooter and it returned a message that the SqlRun_Tools.msi is not compatible.

·         Tried installing in Virtual XPMode

When I reformatted and tried to install SqlRun_Tools without any SQL components installed, I got a slightly different error message:

0:Watson 1:1807 2:StreamSupportFiles 3:getBootStrapDirectory 4:3 5:t:\yukon\sql\setup\darwin\sqlcastub\catarget.cpp 6:100 7:sqlcastub.dll 8:sqlrun.msi

A valid destination folder for the install could not be determined.

Has anyone seen this issue or have any suggestions? 

Friday, March 18, 2011 7:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

I get the same error message as you mentioned when I run SqlRun_Tools.msi on my Windows 7 64-bit OS. It is probably due to that SqlRun_Tools.msi requires invoking other files (.msi or .cab) files which are not existed in the SqlRun_Tools.msi.

Besides, I do not recommend copy any msi or exe file from SQL Server installation media and start installation from it directly. If you want to install any specific feature such as Management Studio, you could run the setup.exe of SQL Server and then select features that you want to install.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Chunsong Feng

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 6:12 AM

All replies

• Wow that's a interesting one!  At what point exactly does the error come up, can you get a screenshot?  Have you tried installing from this same file on a platform older than Windows 7?  Have you tried right clicking the file, and checking if it's locked?  It'll do that if you copy it from a Windows server if it has certain settings enabled and security updates. Have you tried running event viewer and seeing any problems in there?  You can hit the Windows button between ctrl/alt on the keyboard and R to bring up the run box.  Type in EVENTVWR.MSC and push enter.  Go through the entries and see what you can find if anything.  

We'll need any other information you can give us. Thanks.    
    www.AliRazeghi.Com for blog www.RosonCo.Com for I.T. support and consulting
    Saturday, March 19, 2011 9:50 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your post.

I get the same error message as you mentioned when I run SqlRun_Tools.msi on my Windows 7 64-bit OS. It is probably due to that SqlRun_Tools.msi requires invoking other files (.msi or .cab) files which are not existed in the SqlRun_Tools.msi.

Besides, I do not recommend copy any msi or exe file from SQL Server installation media and start installation from it directly. If you want to install any specific feature such as Management Studio, you could run the setup.exe of SQL Server and then select features that you want to install.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Chunsong Feng

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 6:12 AM
  • Why are you running, sqlRun_Tools.msi to install client components. Why are you not running the setup.exe and then select the client components?

It is not recommended to install client tools from sqlRun_Tools.msi, it might be successful, but you might end up with other issues later on.

Try running it from setup.exe and let us know if it throws some error.

Regards, Ashwin Menon My Blog -> sqllearnings.wordpress.com
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 6:57 AM
    Answerer