none
Numerous "Login failed for user 'user'. Reason: Failed to open the explicitly specified database 'database"' messages from one user RRS feed

• Question

• I am seeing a large number of these messages in the SQL Server Logs from one particular user. They appear in groups of 10 attempts per database and then loop around again for as long as the user is connected to the database.

I know the messages are because this user is not authorised for the databases but I don't know why the attempts are being made. The user says they are not doing anything to make these attempts so I'm wondering if it is a bug or setting in SSMS - though I can't imagine what for.

The user is this version of SSMS:

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 7:06 AM

All replies

• I am seeing a large number of these messages in the SQL Server Logs from one particular user. They appear in groups of 10 attempts per database and then loop around again for as long as the user is connected to the database.

I know the messages are because this user is not authorised for the databases but I don't know why the attempts are being made. The user says they are not doing anything to make these attempts so I'm wondering if it is a bug or setting in SSMS - though I can't imagine what for.

The user is this version of SSMS:

Thanks.

Check if the userid is configured in any application configuration file or its related Jobs.

Regards,

Raj

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 7:57 AM
  • None that we're aware of.
    Tuesday, July 9, 2019 8:00 AM
  • None that we're aware of.
    In the error log you would be able to see IP address from which this connection is originated.. this may help you in narrowing down the things.
    Tuesday, July 9, 2019 8:03 AM
  • The IP address is the user's own PC. We know the connections are coming from that location but the user is not running anything other than SSMS.
    Tuesday, July 9, 2019 8:18 AM
  • The IP address is the user's own PC. We know the connections are coming from that location but the user is not running anything other than SSMS.

Hi Ib483,

Then there should some service running on that PC which is trying to connect to db.

Regards,

Raj

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 8:30 AM
  • Nothing. We have tried all of these options already. The errors start when the user connects to the instance from SSMS and stop when they disconnect.
    Tuesday, July 9, 2019 8:35 AM
  • There was a thread recently where a poster observed that if he if he typed

USE somedb

in a query window and his test login was not authorised to somedb, this would result in login failures every ten seconds for the next minute. Note that he never executed the command.

He was able to determine that this is due to Intellisense. Intellisense thinks it needs to get metadata information from that database and this requires a new connection.

I don't know if this fits with your user - as I understand it there are several messages concerned. But you could try disabling Intellisense in SSMS for this user to see if this stops the noise.

By the way, SSMS 17.3 is a bit old by now. 18.1 is the most recent version.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 8:41 AM
  • Hi Ib483,

Did you have the same error, after you tried to disable Intellisense and use SSMS 18.1 or SSMS 17.9.1 as Erland mentioned?

Best regards,

Cathy Ji

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 7:08 AM
  • Hi Cathy.

I've been trying to replicate the problem while using the same version of SSMS as a different user but this hasn't been successful. In an attempt to see what is happening I extended the SQL Profiler capture. This resulted in the appearance of calls from "dbForge SQL Complete". I believe this may be the root cause of the problem.

I need to do some more investigations to confirm and will feed back.

Thursday, July 18, 2019 3:08 PM
  • Any one has other update?
    Friday, July 19, 2019 9:50 AM