none
Definitive Difference between SQL Native Client and SQL Server odbc dsn? RRS feed

• Question

• I have searched for the answer, there are lots of good posts/articles out there, but it seems as if nobody every REALLY states what the difference between the SQL Native Client and the Sql Server drivers.  I didn't really find anything that would suggest which one I should use.  Can anyone tell/share with me this information?
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 1:46 PM

Answers

• To add into Anton's reply

OLE DB and ODBC does not support some of the new features in SQL Server 2005 and above e.g. XML, spatial data type. The SQL Native Client can be used as a solution to have access to the new SQL Server features from native (non .Net code) code. It is a single native dynamic link library (DLL) that contains the ODBC driver and OLE DB provider, which together support applications using native-code APIs (ODBC, OLE DB and ADO) to access Microsoft SQL Server.

• Edited by Chirag Shah Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by tkosel Thursday, May 24, 2012 3:33 AM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:24 PM
  • The short answer is that Sql Server drivers functionally correspond to the feature set of SQL Server 2000 release and ship with Windows. The SQL Native Client drivers were released and contain the features introduced with the subsequent releases of the SQL Server.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Chirag Shah Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by tkosel Thursday, May 24, 2012 3:31 AM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:13 PM

All replies

• The short answer is that Sql Server drivers functionally correspond to the feature set of SQL Server 2000 release and ship with Windows. The SQL Native Client drivers were released and contain the features introduced with the subsequent releases of the SQL Server.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Chirag Shah Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by tkosel Thursday, May 24, 2012 3:31 AM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:13 PM
  • To add into Anton's reply

OLE DB and ODBC does not support some of the new features in SQL Server 2005 and above e.g. XML, spatial data type. The SQL Native Client can be used as a solution to have access to the new SQL Server features from native (non .Net code) code. It is a single native dynamic link library (DLL) that contains the ODBC driver and OLE DB provider, which together support applications using native-code APIs (ODBC, OLE DB and ADO) to access Microsoft SQL Server.

• Edited by Chirag Shah Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by tkosel Thursday, May 24, 2012 3:33 AM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:24 PM
  • Anton and Chirag,

Thanks for your  answers.  Gave me the info I needed!

Thursday, May 24, 2012 3:33 AM