none
Cannot link measure group from cube in different AS database RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to link a measure group from a cube in a different AS database (but on the same server), and get the following error:  Errors in the OLAP storage engine: The metadata for the statically linked measure group, with the name of 'AD043', cannot be verified against the source object.

Note that I can successfully link a dimension from a cube in a different AS database, and can also link a measure group from a different cube in the same AS database.

I found the following information at MSDN, but am not sure if this is the proper solution (nor do I entirely understand it--I'm not the security guy in our organization): In order to define or use a linked measure group, the Windows service account for the Analysis Services instance must belong to an Analysis Services database role that has ReadDefinition and Read access rights on the source Analysis Services instance to the source cube and measure group, or must belong to the Analysis Services Administrators role for the source Analysis Services instance.

At: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174899(SQL.90).aspx

Can someone help me, please ?

Thursday, April 20, 2006 2:08 PM

Answers

• When you create a linked MeasureGroup on a AS2005 server A, you specify its Source as a MeasureGroupBinding with these important properties:

- the DataSourceID pointing to the DataSource whose connection string points to the AS2005 server B on which the source MeasureGroup is

- the Persistance: an enum value, NotPersisted or Metadata; NonPersisted is the default and it means that the linked MeasureGroup content from server A will be pulled from the source server B at the time of creation. So a connection from server A is opened to server B. That's why the account for the AS2005 service on machine A needs to have permissions to AS2005 on machine B to read the source MeasureGroup. If the Persistance however is specified as Metadata, it means that you are sending manually the content of the linked MeasureGroup (so you specified the linked Measures one by one). In this case, a connection from A to B is still opened to verify the consistency between the linked MeasureGroup and its source. This verification adds more rules (that would generate the same error you are getting): the linked Measures need to be defined in same order as in the source MeasureGroup and they need to have the same DataTypes and AggregationFunctions as their source Measures.

Adrian Dumitrascu.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 8:28 PM

All replies

• When you create a linked MeasureGroup on a AS2005 server A, you specify its Source as a MeasureGroupBinding with these important properties:

- the DataSourceID pointing to the DataSource whose connection string points to the AS2005 server B on which the source MeasureGroup is

- the Persistance: an enum value, NotPersisted or Metadata; NonPersisted is the default and it means that the linked MeasureGroup content from server A will be pulled from the source server B at the time of creation. So a connection from server A is opened to server B. That's why the account for the AS2005 service on machine A needs to have permissions to AS2005 on machine B to read the source MeasureGroup. If the Persistance however is specified as Metadata, it means that you are sending manually the content of the linked MeasureGroup (so you specified the linked Measures one by one). In this case, a connection from A to B is still opened to verify the consistency between the linked MeasureGroup and its source. This verification adds more rules (that would generate the same error you are getting): the linked Measures need to be defined in same order as in the source MeasureGroup and they need to have the same DataTypes and AggregationFunctions as their source Measures.

Adrian Dumitrascu.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 8:28 PM
  • Thanks, Adrian.  I read your response carefully, and also passed it on to our database admin.  As  you stated, "a connection from A to B is still opened to verify the consistency between the linked MeasureGroup and its source.  This verification adds more rules (that would generate the same error you are getting): the linked Measures need to be defined in same order as in the source MeasureGroup and they need to have the same DataTypes and AggregationFunctions as their source Measures." 

I found thru experimentation last night that these "rules" you mention prevent me from deleting any of the measures in a linked measure group--and this  appears to cause of the problem.  This seems like bizarre behavior, but I can live with it merely by setting the visible properties for those linked measures I do not want displayed to false.

Thanks again.

Friday, April 21, 2006 5:27 PM
  • Yes, the linked MeasureGroup needs to define the same list of Measures as the source (in the same order) and the Visible property is the way to hide them fro user.

Adrian Dumitrascu.

Friday, April 21, 2006 6:48 PM
  • I got this error when I added a measure into the master measure group in one cube and found that I could not add the same measure into the linked measure groups of two other cubes.

Quick fix - delete the Linked Measure Groups and then relink them. I provided this in case anybody ran into the same scenario I did just today. Im new at a company and this put me into a mild panic as I hadnt worked with Linked Measure Groups previously and the guy who set this up is long gone.

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 5:46 PM