Upgrade advisory report failure on SQL Server 2019 RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

We are doing impact assessment analysis for SQL Server 2019. 

ENV1: SQL Server 2019 on Windows Server 2016

ENV2: SQL Server 2019 on Windows Server 2019

When we run Microsoft Data Migration Assistant (5.1.4591.1), it runs fine for all databases in ENV1 but failing for some databases in ENV2. 

Errors in ENV2

The assessment of database 'Db1' on server 'MachineAK' failed.

Failed to determine supported target platforms for source platform 'SqlOnPrem' of '15.0.2000.5' version. This source platform version is currently not supported to assess.

The assessment of database 'Db2' on server 'MachineAK' failed.

Failed to determine supported target platforms for source platform 'SqlOnPrem' of '15.0.2000.5' version. This source platform version is currently not supported to assess.

The assessment of database  'Db3' on server 'MachineAK' failed.

Could you please advise what is the issue and how to fix it ? 

Appreciate your help and support !!

Monday, January 20, 2020 5:54 AM

Answers

• Hello friend,

Data Migration Assistant (DMA) recommends performance and reliability for the target environment and enables you to move architecture, data, and non-contained objects from the source server to the target server.

Data Migration Assistant supports SQL Server 2019 as a target server, but not as sources.

In your environment, for SQL Server 2019, what is the target server you set when you run DMA?

The computer system I tested is Windows 10 Enterprise.

Best regards,
    Cris

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Anil_Kumar_DBA Tuesday, January 21, 2020 9:35 AM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2020 7:21 AM

All replies

• Hi friend,

According to this official document, the Data Migration Assistant supported source excluding SQL Server 2019, so you got errors.

And I also tested using SQL Server 2019 instance as source, then i got the same error.

But what is confusing is that you can run it successfully in ENV1, uh, the SQL Server 2019 is really installed in ENV1? Or did you not select an instance of SQL Server 2019 when performing the "Add Source" operation in ENV1?

Best regards,
    Cris

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 2:34 AM

• But what is confusing is that you can run it successfully in ENV1, uh, the SQL Server 2019 is really installed in ENV1? Or did you not select an instance of SQL Server 2019 when performing the "Add Source" operation in ENV1?

Hello Friend, 

Thank you for your time to reply !!

I am pretty sure about installing and running Microsoft Data Migration Assistant (5.1.4591.1)on ENV1 (SQL Server 2019 on Windows Server 2016), that's the reason we could pull out feature enhancement and compatibility report. i think Windows Server 2019 caused the issue or we messed up something. 

If Data Migration Assistant doesn't support SQL Server 2019, it doesn't much sound sense to release SQL Server 2019 because any org looks forward for stability and this tool helps them in identifying potential upgrade risk and devise corrective work around. 

Also Windows Server 2019 GA was in 2018, actually this issue should have been caught and fixed by this time. 

Have a great and peaceful day my friend !!

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 7:07 AM
  • Hello friend,

Data Migration Assistant (DMA) recommends performance and reliability for the target environment and enables you to move architecture, data, and non-contained objects from the source server to the target server.

Data Migration Assistant supports SQL Server 2019 as a target server, but not as sources.

In your environment, for SQL Server 2019, what is the target server you set when you run DMA?

Best regards,
    Cris

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by Anil_Kumar_DBA Tuesday, January 21, 2020 9:35 AM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2020 7:21 AM
  • Hello friend,

Best regards,
    Cris

We tried running the tool on ENV1 and it failed gracefully...There was another  SQL 2014 instance in ENV1 and we may have used that unintentionally. 

Thank you for your precious time and valuable help !! 

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 9:44 AM
  • Hello friend,

You're welcome, I'm honored my reply was helpful to you.

If you have additional questions, feel free to ask.

Best wishes,
    Cris

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 9:53 AM