none
DHCP Service fails to start after installing SQL Server 2005 April CTP

Question

• I have a Windows 2003 Server SP1, Active Directory, Application Server and RIS installed on my computer. After installing SQL Server 2005 April CTP my DHCP Service fails to start. In the Event Viewer I see the following Events.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Description: The DHCP Server service terminated with service-specific error 20013 (0x4E2D).

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Application Popup
    Description: Application popup: Service Control Manager: At least one service or driver failed during system startup.  Use Event Viewer to examine the event log for details.

Event Source: DhcpServer
    Description: The DHCP service is shutting down due to the following error: The service has returned a service-specific error code.

Description: The DHCP service failed to restore the database. The following error occurred: An error occurred while accessing the DHCP database. Look at the
    DHCP server event log for more information on this error.

Description: The following problem occurred with the Jet database -1811:  Jet database read or write operations failed. If the computer  or database has just been upgraded, then this message can be  safely ignored. If this message appears frequently, either there  is not enough disk space to complete the operation or the database  or backup database may be corrupt.  To correct this problem,  either free additional space on your hard disk or restore the  database. After you restore the database, ensure that conflict  detection is enabled in DHCP server properties. For information  about restoring the database, see Help and Support Center.  Additional Debug Information: JetRestore.

Description: The DHCP service failed to initialize the database. The following error occurred: %%65535

Monday, July 18, 2005 3:59 PM

Answers

All replies

• I have the same issue. Did you find an anwser yet?
    Wednesday, July 27, 2005 2:08 AM
  • I also have this same problem after installing the june sql server 2005 ctp. Tried restore of dhcp database. Tried to create empty database. Uninstalled service and app. Uninstalled the dhcp server and sql server 2005 and then reinstalled dhcp server and still the same problem.

I have searched everywhere and several people have had this issue, but no resolution.

The service can't start. In the event viewer, I have the following errors:

Error 1004
    ===========
    The DHCP service failed to initialize the database. The following error occurred:
    %%65535
    ===========

Error 1014
    ===========
    The following problem occurred with the Jet database -1811: Jet database read or write operations failed. If the computer or database has just been upgraded, then this message can be safely ignored. If this message appears frequently, either there is not enough disk space to complete the operation or the database or backup database may be corrupt. To correct this problem, either free additional space on your hard disk or restore the database. After you restore the database, ensure that conflict detection is enabled in DHCP server properties. For information about restoring the database, see Help and Support Center. Additional Debug Information: JetRestore.
    ===========

Error 1018
    ===========
    The DHCP service failed to restore the database. The following error occurred:
    An error occurred while accessing the DHCP database. Look at the
    DHCP server event log for more information on this error.
    ===========

Error 1008
    ===========
    The DHCP service is shutting down due to the following error:
    The service has returned a service-specific error code.
    ===========

Error 7024
    ===========
    The DHCP Server service terminated with service-specific error 20013 (0x4E2D).
    ===========

Saturday, July 30, 2005 2:46 PM
  • Oh, great. I'm having this issue too. It must be. I installed the SQL Server CTP a few weeks ago, didn't like it very much and uninstalled. Now I'm trying to install DHCP Server and I can't. I get the same error messages in the EventLog which you describe.

Hasn't this been solved yet???

Sad
    Tuesday, August 02, 2005 3:23 AM
  • I think someone from Microsoft should address this issue.

Thanks,
    Wednesday, August 03, 2005 2:52 AM
  • Anybody ever get a resolution to this, I've seen it mentioned in all sorts of forums, one of which indicated there was a registry fix posted on the MSDN site but I can't find a fix anywhere. Microsoft whats the deal? How do we fix these problems?
    Wednesday, August 03, 2005 12:02 PM
  • Hi Mark,

Thanks for weighing in. I found this thread from a Google search and it was way down on the list in this forum. But I can't see that anyone has ever fixed this! As soon as I posted my own problem, the topic popped up to the top of the list. That's the nice thing about this forum. So everyone who is having this problem needs to report in. This will keep this at the top of the list and hopefully get Microsoft's attention. They really need to fix this.

Workaround tip: This may be a *duh* or this may not be obvious to you; I didn't realize this solution at first. If you're connected to the Internet via a Router/Switch, it is possible that the router device can provide DHCP services for you. My LinkSys CableModem router provides DHCP, so I'm OK personally, but Microsoft really should fix this.

Thanks to the Microsoft guys. I'm sure you're hard at work to find a fix for us.

(As a side note, why on Earth is DHCP Server using a Jet database? For goodness sakes, it's 2005!)
    Wednesday, August 03, 2005 7:22 PM
  • http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/viewfeedback.aspx?feedbackid=6c2ce44d-72d2-416d-afee-c51c9298c746

This issue is because setup creates wrong default registry value under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\VssAccessControl. To fix DHCP service just delete VssAccessControl registry key.
    Monday, August 08, 2005 8:45 PM
  • It worked!  Thanks a lot.

Mike
    Monday, August 22, 2005 4:01 AM
  • I have also same problem (errors) but i didn't install sql server 2005. There is no "VssAccessControl" registery key under the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\"

I can't understand why this happened and I could not found a solution...

I dont know what should i do...

Monday, September 05, 2005 1:11 PM
  • Experiencing the exact same problem.  There is no "VssAccessControl" registery key.  DHCP is starting but each moring it shuts down.
    Wednesday, October 26, 2005 4:00 PM
  • Worked for me.. thanks
    Saturday, November 12, 2005 9:50 AM
  • I am still having this issue as well. I am getting event ids 1010, 1016, and 1014. I don't have SQL installed on this computer at all. Please help.
    Friday, December 30, 2005 4:05 PM
  • I am getting this same issue, but about the same time I started receiving errors from Executive Software Diskeeper Enterprise edition, telling me that I could no longer defrag my root drive, as I had Volume shadow copy enabled.  This software had always worked fine before on this system and the only changed I can tie this too are the critical updates released last week.
    Tuesday, August 22, 2006 6:59 PM
  • Same problem. No VssAccessControl but the service will not start. error msg: "Error 65535: 0xffff"

Any suggestions from Microsoft ???

Thanks in advance !

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 1:33 AM
  • I seem to be having a similair problem. Every morning in my performance report I get the following errors:

Source Event ID Last Occurrence Total Occurrences
      ESENT 215 9/18/2006 2:32 AM 1
    tcpsvcs (10592) The backup has been stopped because it was halted by the client or the connection with the client failed.
      DhcpServer 1010 9/18/2006 2:32 AM 1
    The DHCP service encountered the following error while cleaning up the database: An error occurred while accessing the DHCP database. Look at the DHCP server event log for more information on this error.
      DhcpServer 1014 9/18/2006 2:32 AM 1

DhcpServer 1016 9/18/2006 2:32 AM 1
    The DHCP service encountered the following error when backing up the database: An error occurred while accessing the DHCP database. Look at the DHCP server event log for more information on this error.

When I check my services I find DHCPServer is running and all DHCP operations seem to be working.
    Monday, September 18, 2006 2:17 PM
  • I am having the same issue as everyone else (I know this thread is old). No reg key, no SQL server, and DHCP won't start.

Does anyone have a solution?

TIA
    Monday, March 12, 2007 7:06 AM
  • We had an identical problem on an sbs2003 server after performing an ASR.

Folllowed several thread's through and likewise, didn't have the registry key to remove that solved some other peoples issues.

Having checked the backup tape and discovered that the database in the full backup and the asr seemed to be fine we decided to delete the contents of the windows\system32\dhcp folder, start the service and create and authorise the server and scope.  Everything now works just fine.  Hope this helps...

Thursday, July 19, 2007 11:08 AM
  • I've had the same problem twice now.  SQL is not involved as well.  Resolution applies to Windows 2003 Server.   

1.) Take C:\Windows\System32\DHCP out of your files being backed up by your backup solution. 

2.) Exclude the C:\Windows\System32\DHCP directory from being scanned by your virus software. 

3.) Disable indexing of C:\Windows\System32\DHCP. 

4.) Possibly removing backup agent software, installing it again could potentially help.

5.) Reboot, after all is done. 

Alternatively, deleting the database, and allowing a new one to be created will definitely help if this issue is repeatedly seen after all these fixes do not resolve your issues.  Just make sure to do this off-hours. 

Please let me know if the information provided here helps anyone. 

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 3:29 PM
  • During a SBS 2003 Server crash and subsequent restore using BU Exec 11 (uses SQL 2005 - this must be the cause) we encountered this issue. Deleting the contents of the windows\system32\dhcp and setting up the scope as described in the post above worked for us. Thanks.

Monday, May 12, 2008 12:47 AM