none
SSMA - Connect to Oracle yields invalid username/password error, even though correct username/password has been entered RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am getting the ORA-01017 invalid username/password error when trying to connect to Oracle in SQL Server Migration Assistant, even though the credentials I entered were correct. I tried the SYSTEM user first. Then I created a new user with DBA role. Both cannot connect using SSMA. I tried to test both users using SQL*Plus, and I was able to connect successfully. Please advise.

Thursday, June 20, 2019 8:00 AM

Answers

• I was able to find a workaround for this. Instead of connecting in Standard mode, I connected using the Connection String mode and was able to connect successfully. I think this unusual error will only show for Oracle Database version 10g and below, because of password case-insensitivity and the absence of the SEC_CASE_SENSITIVE_LOGON parameter.
    • Marked as answer by RJ Timtiman Thursday, September 19, 2019 9:09 AM
    Thursday, September 19, 2019 9:09 AM

All replies

• Hi RJ Timtiman,

There may be a password case sensitivity. An application can force a password and name in large case. The SEC_CASE_SENSITIVE_LOGON parameter gives control over case sensitive passwords. Please try to write a password in single quotes or change the SEC_CASE_SENSITIVE_LOGON parameter to false. alter system set sec_case_sensitive_logon=FALSE

Please refer to ORA-01017 Invalid Username/Password to get more information.

Hope this could help you.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, June 21, 2019 9:14 AM
  • Hi,

SSMA is using official Oracle Data Provider for .NET (aka ODP.NET), which is provided by Oracle, so we can't provide comprehensive support for it. There are multiple known issues where it fails to login: one is already mentioned by Cathy Li and another one could be FIPS policy. You can find more information about it here.

Alternatively you can use Oracle's ODBC driver to connect to your Oracle server.

Thanks,
    Alex.

Monday, June 24, 2019 6:35 PM
  • Hi,

I am curious which version of Oracle and what tools being used to connect to server?  i am having difficulty installing it om my pc.

Monday, June 24, 2019 7:23 PM
  • Hi,

I am curious which version of Oracle and what tools being used to connect to server?  i am having difficulty installing it om my pc.

just a follow up. I was able to install 18c, run sql plus as well as connect using like interface tool similar to SSMS. Now need to transfer the app I developed in postgres into oracle. I am cool. BTW using jdbc driver to connect. Oracle need to deprecate sql plus as it is command line and not user friendly. 

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 7:04 AM
  • Hi Cathy Ji,

The version of the Oracle database that I'm using is 10g, so the SEC_CASE_SENSITIVE_LOGON parameter is not yet available.

I tried to enclose the password in double quotes (""), and also tried to make the password ALL CAPS. Both to no avail.

Thursday, July 4, 2019 5:50 AM
  • I was able to find a workaround for this. Instead of connecting in Standard mode, I connected using the Connection String mode and was able to connect successfully. I think this unusual error will only show for Oracle Database version 10g and below, because of password case-insensitivity and the absence of the SEC_CASE_SENSITIVE_LOGON parameter.
    • Marked as answer by RJ Timtiman Thursday, September 19, 2019 9:09 AM
    Thursday, September 19, 2019 9:09 AM