none
SQL CE 4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently using SQL CE 4.0 on numerous websites.

Microsoft extended support for this product ends July 2021.

After this date I assume these will continue to work as long as I include the relevant dll's with my projects however will future Microsoft updates cause SQL CE 4.0 to stop working?

Going forward what has everyone else used successfully in place of SQL CE 4.0?

I am currently using Entity Framework 6 with code first approach.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 11:04 AM

All replies

• I think it will be a number of years before SQL CE is no longer supported on Windows, as a number of Microsoft products rely on this database engine. 

You could use SQLite as a poor man's replacement, but only if you like pain (and EF6 Code First is not supported). There is also VistaDB, not free and no EF6 code first ( and no EF Core support).

Please mark as answer, if this was it. Visit my SQL Server Compact blog http://erikej.blogspot.com

• Proposed as answer by MIAOYUXI Wednesday, July 1, 2020 2:34 AM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2020 2:30 PM

• After this date I assume these will continue to work as long as I include the relevant dll's with my projects however will future Microsoft updates cause SQL CE 4.0 to stop working?

SQL CE uses independant DLLs (sqlceoledb40.dll and so on, with standard dependencies like MSVCR90.DLL), and no real way to prevent them to work

I use some MS products, like some old OCX (~20 years old) and they still work on Windows 10...

• Edited by Castorix31 Tuesday, June 30, 2020 2:52 PM
    • Proposed as answer by MIAOYUXI Wednesday, July 1, 2020 2:34 AM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2020 2:47 PM
  • Hi HartleysKid,

>After this date I assume these will continue to work as long as I include the relevant dll's with my projects however will future Microsoft updates cause SQL CE 4.0 to stop working?

No. It will not stop the SQL CE4.0 working. 

>Going forward what has everyone else used successfully in place of SQL CE 4.0?

You can consider: SQLite, db4o

BR,

MIAOYUXI

Wednesday, July 1, 2020 2:34 AM
  • Hi HartleysKid,

Is the reply helpful?

Choose to Mark the helpful reply as answer and that will be helpful for others.

BR,

MIAOYUXI

Thursday, July 2, 2020 1:19 AM
  • You can choose to "Mark As Answer" for the helpful reply, this will be benefit for others.

Tuesday, July 7, 2020 1:22 AM