SQL Server 2019 express compatibility RRS feed

• Question

• I have a GUI tool that was designed to work for SQL Server 2008, specifically using these function calls:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/microsoft.sqlserver.management.common.serverconnection.-ctor?view=sql-smo-160

my question is if the server gets upgraded to SQL server 2019 express, will the tool stop working because those calls are not supported? 

Any help is appreciate it.  I'm finding difficult locating official Microsoft information that states the compatibility and further support.

Wednesday, July 29, 2020 7:51 PM

All replies

• If those calls are not supported in SQL Server 2019 express then it's pretty sure that your GUI tool will stop working.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Wednesday, July 29, 2020 7:54 PM
  • If those calls are not supported in SQL Server 2019 express then it's pretty sure that your GUI tool will stop working.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

that's what I'm trying to figure out, but can't seem to locate specific information that states that.

Wednesday, July 29, 2020 8:12 PM
  • Hi raphelriv,

Not sure.Becasue that is your own designed tool.However you can test before upgrade. Free to download SQL2019 Express and free to use, so you can test it firstly on your side.

Note:

You can not upgrade from SQL2008 to SQL2019 Express directly,please reference:supported-version-and-edition-upgrades-version-15

You can choose to upgrade it to SQL2016 firstly and then upgrade to SQL2019. More information:supported-version-and-edition-upgrades2016

And there are many mvs in YouTuBe to show you how to migrate or upgrade from sql2008 to sql2019,you can search them by google. And if you also has issues, feel free to post your issues here.

BR,

MIA

• Edited by MIAOYUXI Thursday, July 30, 2020 2:24 AM
    Thursday, July 30, 2020 2:00 AM
  • SMO is backward compatible and also forward, it only isn't aware of new features introduced in later version.

So, no, your tool won't stop work, it can interact with newer SQL Server version then 2008.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, July 30, 2020 6:09 AM
  • Hi raphaelriv,

Is the reply helpful?

BR,

Mia

Friday, July 31, 2020 1:36 AM