Database in recovery mode RRS feed

• Question

• Please HELP database has gone into to recovery mode....

Regards,

Avaneesh.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:18 AM

Answers

• It might just be that it takes a long time to recover the database. Give it a while and see. As suggested, do look in the errorlog file. It will either show that recovery is ongoing, or it will give you error messages that will help you determine the problem and possibly a solution.

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP | web | blog

Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:54 AM

All replies

• The following blog is on similar topic:

http://www.sqlusa.com/bestpractices/suspectdatabase/

Can you provide more information?   Can you restart the server?

Kalman Toth Database & OLAP Architect sqlusa.com
    New Book / Kindle: Pass SQL Exam 70-461 & Job Interview: Programming SQL Server 2012

Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:22 AM
  • Hi,

Can you post the SQL Server error log.

What exactly happened?  This database was a readable database and all of a sudden went into recovery?  Or have you just started the server and your database in in recovery?  Any changes made to the database?  Any hardware faults? Please describe the problem exactly

Thanks, Andrew

Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:33 AM
  • Well actually it was working very much fine only till i had executed a newly created job which deleted the data from a main table and transferred it to the history table.. the transfer to history table was complete but the deletion in the main table took very long time so I (so stupid) stopped the job manually. The application got struck.. I then restarted the server (stupid again) now the situation, the database shows "In Recovery". This was just the change that was being made. PLEASE HELP..

VERSION SQL SERVER 2008.
    Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:47 AM
  • It might just be that it takes a long time to recover the database. Give it a while and see. As suggested, do look in the errorlog file. It will either show that recovery is ongoing, or it will give you error messages that will help you determine the problem and possibly a solution.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:54 AM
  • Just as you suggested its been recovered. Finally I can get some life. Any suggestion to avoid this situations would be welcome from all you wonderful people. Also my log file has occupied huge space during this process. Any suggestions ? Should I shrink the database ? or is there any other way around. Should I check anything else to ensure the database intactness ?

Thanks all.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:12 AM
  • Long running transactions if interrupted can take a long time to rollback. If you now restart the server, then the whole server will be unavailable until the rollback is complete. So, be careful with long running transaction and think twice before restarting the server. If the log file now if larger then it has to be for your normal operations, then yes you can shrink it. But don't shrink the whole database, only the ldf file.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 12:29 PM