File links in SSRS reports RRS feed

• Question

• We have SSRS reports that create files in our central file stores.  These file stores are secure internal SMB based \\servername\share locations.  Internet Explorer 9, 10 and 11 all work perfectly fine when we click links, the files open.   Edge fails and does nothing.  Right clicking the link to open in a new tab or window shows blocked.  Moving to web based file storage is not appropriate for us. 

I noticed that SSRS rewrites our links and forms them as file://servername/share/filename.ext links.  These links only work when clicked in i.e. and not in Edge.  Were forced to have users copy the associated link that SSRS provides and paste it in another window.  Edge opens these links just fine this way.  It appears to me that the reason they don't work is the files aren't local on the machine clicking the link.  This is kind of crazy since Outlook which is far more dangerous still allows opening any file link from anywhere, even foreign systems.

We have tried the admin policies for Edge to specify Internet explorer 11 mode with the associated XML file defining excluded sites and internet explorer for all internal sites GPO's and neither have any effect.

One of the SSRS servers with this problem is SQL 2016 CU14 and the problem seems to affect all versions of Edge (chromium based)

Question is, what can we do inside SSRS to have Edge open these SSRS file links to our internal files properly?

Thursday, August 6, 2020 11:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you have the same issue with other browsers such as:Chrome, Firefox and so on?

Regards,

Zoe

Friday, August 7, 2020 6:51 AM
  • Yes same issue with Chrome.  Haven't tried firefox.

We tried the clickonce option in Edge but that also had no effect.

I tried the admin templates GPO and set IE11 mode with the XML file and in the XML, excluded the file share hostname but that didn't seem to help either.

Friday, August 7, 2020 3:24 PM
  • Hi,

It seems that it is a bit difficult for SSRS to achieve your needs cause IE could open the link without any issue.

It maybe related with other browsers' settings, I'd suggest to ask the question to the Chrome or Edge forum.

Hope you could get more ideas from them.

Regards,

Zoe

""SQL Server related"" forum will be migrated to a new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SQL Server related" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server !
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Tuesday, August 11, 2020 1:28 AM
  • Thank you for the info.  I agree it's likely a Chromium project issue since it relates only to the "new" Edge and Chrome.   Then again, SSRS needs to support these new browsers or it will just cease to exist as a "needed" product
    Wednesday, August 12, 2020 2:26 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

In my opinion, the issue is more likely related with the SMB settings and other browsers.

You may check the SMB or the compatibility of the browsers.

Regards,

Zoe

""SQL Server related"" forum will be migrated to a new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SQL Server related" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server !
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

• Proposed as answer by Zoehui-MSFT Friday, August 14, 2020 1:24 AM
    Thursday, August 13, 2020 6:26 AM