none
The given key was not present in the dictionary RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When I try to preview a SSRS report in VS 2005 I get the following error: "The given key was not present in the dictionary", however when I deploy the report and view it in the Report Manager all is fine. I have not been able to find any usefull info in MSDN, any one have an idea what I can try?

Wednesday, July 5, 2006 6:24 AM

Answers

• There is an .rdl.data file in the report project directory next to your .rdl file.  If you close Report Designer, delete that fail, and try and preview again, does it work?

Thanks, Donovan

Monday, July 10, 2006 10:06 PM

All replies

• Dear ,

What login did u used while installation of Reporting services and what login used to configure or starting the services.

from

mohd sufian

Wednesday, July 5, 2006 9:20 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I do not think that this has anything to do with login IDs since I can preview other reports from Visual Studio, it is just this report that I cannot view in Visual Studio, it must be something unexpected in this report...

Monday, July 10, 2006 5:22 AM
  • There is an .rdl.data file in the report project directory next to your .rdl file.  If you close Report Designer, delete that fail, and try and preview again, does it work?

Thanks, Donovan

Monday, July 10, 2006 10:06 PM
  • Hi Donovan,

That was the problem yes, solved it. Any idea what that file is for? I'm tempted to delete all the .rdl.data files on a daily basis... :)

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 7:20 AM
  • The .rdl.data file is a dataset cache when you preview reports. Sometimes when you change the structure of your queries (e.g. by modifying the SQL statement and returning different fields), the .rdl.data cache file may not be updated correctly.

In general, clicking the green refresh icon in the preview toolbar should reexecute the queries and update the .rdl.data cache file. Otherwise, in preview the report will just run from the cached the data (if the data can be cached).

-- Robert

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 5:09 PM
  • Robert,

I'm having the same issue. I tried your suggestion and re-open BIDS and ran the report and it shows the data, however, my report includes a couple of charts and when I try to view them its' when it displays that error.

What can I do?

thx,

John
    RS Newbie
    Friday, May 1, 2009 4:19 PM
  • John,

I just struck a similar issue to the one you described.  I'm running SSRS 2005 SP3. I had the Label property set on the Chart object, and when I removed it the error stopped appearing.

PS: The BIDSHelper feature "Delete Dataset Cache Files" makes it easier to remove .rdl.data files.

http://bidshelper.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Delete%20Dataset%20Cache%20Files

Good luck!
    Mike

Thursday, April 22, 2010 4:01 AM
  • Dear SSRS Experts -- Please help. I am getting the dreaded "given key was not present" error on my SSRS report. This does happen after I deploy to a server that is protected by SiteMinder. This does NOT happen when running the report from VS 2013 in a Reporting project. This does NOT happen when running in VS debug mode in an MVC app that consumes the report. This does NOT happen when I run the report directly from a browser, passing in the correct query string, etc. This does NOT happen for all reports-- only for some of them. The report server and db server are the same in all cases. Do you have any ideas or suggestions or guesses? Please advise. Thanks. -- Mark Kamoski

-- Mark Kamoski

Friday, May 15, 2015 7:32 PM