none
Best Way to Upgrade SQL Server Replication Servers RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 3 server transactional replication configuration:

Server A (SQL 2008R2 and WinSvr 2008R2) is a publisher of database DB1.  It is a business critical OLTP VM which is used 24/7.

Server B (SQL 2008R2 and WinSvr 2008R2) is the distributor.  It is also a subscriber of database DB1 and a publisher of database DB1.  The sole purpose of this server is to handle DB1 data requests separate from Server A.

Server C (SQL 2016 and WinSvr 2016) is a subscriber to DB1 from Server B.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last year we upgraded Server C to SQL 2016.  This year we want to upgrade Server B.

At first I thought this would be easy.  We would just stand up a new VM (Server B2) and then I would create a new publication on Server A that would replicate to Server B2, leaving our original replication stream from Server B to Server C intact.

Once we verified that the 1st part of the replication stream from Server A to server B2 was functioning properly, we could delete the subscription on C and recreate it to read from the new B2 replication server.

However, I don't think that I can have a publication database that points to 2 distributors.  Does someone have some suggestions for how we might be able to upgrade this server?

Also, we have plans to upgrade Server A next year, but it's been determined that it would be too risky to upgrade them both at the same time.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 7:51 PM

All replies

• Hi KathyGibson

The current replication architecture you described is a bit hard to understand, Would you please re-describe it?

Best regards,

Dedmon Dai

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, November 22, 2019 9:44 AM