none
SQL server database on VM RRS feed

• Question

• We have a subscription of 150$ and in that we already using a cloud service.

And we want to add a SQL database to the same VM.

Is it possible?and what are the requirement for adding in the same VM?

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 12:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello - Other than Express edition, you can only install SQL Server  on VM only if the host has adequate license for SQL Server already factored. However you can still install SQL Server Express Edition (Which is Free edition) that does not require any license on the machine and can be used for serving your application workloads.

Having said this there are capacity limitations for using SQL Server Express edition, such as:

• Constrained to a 1 CPU or 4 cores
    • 1GB RAM
    • 10GB database size per database

Hope this helps !

Good Luck!
    Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue.
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 1:06 PM
  • I am assuming you are talking about Azure VMs in the cloud. If you have an existing VM you can bring your own SQL Server license.  You can also configure a new VM that comes with SQL Server already installed and configured. With those VMs the price of SQL is included.

Depending on your use case you can disable the VMs to save money when they are not needed.

I hope this helps. If so, please mark this question as answered.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 1:11 PM
  • Yeah, I talking about Azure VMs in the cloud. In that I seen that, there is an operation for create SQL database service. It is not possible to create a SQL db in e existing VM with free of cost?
    Wednesday, August 5, 2015 1:40 PM
  • I am talking about Azure VMs in the cloud. In that I seen that, there is an operation for create SQL database service. It is not possible to create a SQL db in e existing VM with free of cost?
    Wednesday, August 5, 2015 1:53 PM
  • Yes, that is correct unless you are able to use SQL Server Express which is the free edition of SQL Server. Also, keep in mind that the create SQL database is a database as a service. You wouldn't have access to the OS or the VM. This is very different from Azure VMs where you have access to the OS and the VM.

Here is list of the features to compare to see if SQL Server Express is an option for you. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645993.aspx

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue.
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 1:58 PM