none
How do I not send a report if there is no data SSRS Report Manager 2005 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am having a problem. I dont want a report to be sent if there is no data. I am using the standard subscription not the data driven subscription. The way I have done the subscription is I have added the 'To' email address and specified a parameter. Is there a way to do it?

Thanks for yoru help

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 1:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• There is not OOTB functionality for this in 2005 report manager. If using 2012 or newer with SharePoint integration, you can setup data alerts to meet this requirement.

If you have the ability to use data driven subscription, then you can use this feature to meet your requirement. Build a stored procedure to populate a table containing a subscription list for your report(s) along with an indicator as to whether or not the current report contains data. Use a view to filter on the indicator and reference this view as the subscription list for your report.

If you don't have enterprise edition, you can create similar functionality following this tutorial: http://macaalay.com/2014/04/02/how-to-create-data-driven-report-subscriptions-in-sql-server-standard-version/

• Proposed as answer by SqlBIGuyMN Wednesday, February 11, 2015 5:08 PM
    Wednesday, February 11, 2015 5:08 PM
  • Hi fredz92,

According to your description, you want to prevent empty reports from being sent.

In Reporting Services, a corresponding job is created when setting up a subscription. For you requirement, you can go to SSMS then edit the corresponding job, add a code to check if the report doesn’t have any data. For more information, please refer to this article: Don't send that empty SSRS report.

Besides, you can create a subscription based on an expired schedule, then specify a custom code which fires same query in your report to see if any results are returned. For more information, please refer to this article: How to prevent empty reports from being sent as part of a SQL Reporting Services subscription.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
    Qiuyun Yu

Qiuyun Yu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 12, 2015 11:12 AM