none
Always On- DHCP Vs Static Listener IP Best practices. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am looking for best practices to use for Listener configuration for always on. Specifically which option is best DHCP VS Static IP. 

I have both nodes in same sub net though. 

Thank you for your time.

Thank you very much for your time and effort to answer this post. Please Mark As Answer if it is helpful. \\Aim To Inspire Rather to Teach Best -Ankit

• Edited by -kit Friday, June 23, 2017 5:02 PM
    Friday, June 23, 2017 4:52 PM

Answers

• As I understand it, static IP is the recommended and only adviceable solution for production environments. Else your HA environment would be dependent on the DHCP service.

But if you only need to set up an AG for lab or testing purposes, DHCP can be easier to get going.

• Proposed as answer by DeviantLogic Friday, June 23, 2017 5:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by -kit Friday, June 23, 2017 5:39 PM
    Friday, June 23, 2017 5:06 PM
  • What Erland said is right on.  I'd also recommend static IP's for any shared dev/test/stage environments as well.  Coming directly from Microsoft's documentation:

Important

We do not recommend DHCP in production environment. If there is a down time and the DHCP IP lease expires, extra time is required to register the new DHCP network IP address that is associated with the listener DNS name and impact the client connectivity. However, DHCP is good for setting up your development and testing environment to verify basic functions of availability groups and for integration with your applications.

Friday, June 23, 2017 5:34 PM

All replies

• As I understand it, static IP is the recommended and only adviceable solution for production environments. Else your HA environment would be dependent on the DHCP service.

But if you only need to set up an AG for lab or testing purposes, DHCP can be easier to get going.

• Proposed as answer by DeviantLogic Friday, June 23, 2017 5:27 PM
    Friday, June 23, 2017 5:06 PM
  • This is for the Production environment. 

Thanks Erland.

Thank you very much for your time and effort to answer this post. Please Mark As Answer if it is helpful. \\Aim To Inspire Rather to Teach Best -Ankit

Friday, June 23, 2017 5:08 PM
  • What Erland said is right on.  I'd also recommend static IP's for any shared dev/test/stage environments as well.  Coming directly from Microsoft's documentation:

Important

We do not recommend DHCP in production environment. If there is a down time and the DHCP IP lease expires, extra time is required to register the new DHCP network IP address that is associated with the listener DNS name and impact the client connectivity. However, DHCP is good for setting up your development and testing environment to verify basic functions of availability groups and for integration with your applications.

Friday, June 23, 2017 5:34 PM