"
    errors.

I installed SQL Sp1 and after reboot I have the same errors again

How can i fix these? Thanks.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 10:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is a known issue under the following scenario:
    • You have a computer whose System locale is configured as Arabic and User locale is set to English or a different language.
    • On this computer you try to install a named instance of SQL Server 2008 and the instance name contains Arabic characters.

To workaround the issue you need to temporarily match the user and system locales before setting up SQL server. In the scenario described in this article you need to set the User locale to Arabic so that it matches the System locale. After the setup is complete you can revert the regional settings back to desired configuration.

Reference:
    SQL Server 2008 setup fails to complete when instance name contains Arabic characters
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/2001727

If there are any more questions, please let me know.
    Thanks.

***Xiao Min Tan***Microsoft Online Community***
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 7:19 AM
  • Sorry to dissapoint you but I'm not in such situation. I have clean installation of 2008 R2 server with locale UNCHANGED at all. It is United States. SQL server was installed as default instance.

And I noticed the following:

This error appears when I have full management tools installed. When I have only basic installation of management tools - there are no errors at all. And in addition this is somehow related with Business Intelligence Development Studio component. When I have this component installed and when I have full management tools installed it seems that I can't see errors I mentioned earlier. But do I need to have this Business Intelligence Development Studio on my server. I simply do not need it. Is it required for sql server to function correctly? I think it is not.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 9:39 AM
  • Hi,

Have you installed Visual Studio 2008 before installing SQL Server 2008? Visual Studio 2008 without SP1 affects the following components of SQL Server 2008:
    • Management Tools (Basic or Complete)
    • Integration Services
    • Business Intelligence Development Studio
    To work around it, you need to install Visual Studio 2008 SP1before installing SQL Server 2008. For more information, please see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956139
    If it still fails, please provide us the error messages logged into the setup log files which are located in the %Program files%\Microsoft sql server\100\Setup bootstrap\Log\ folder. For more information about how to View and Read SQL Server Setup Log Files, please see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143702.aspx.

In addition, Business Intelligence Development Studio is the primary environment that you will use to develop business solutions that include Analysis Services, Integration Services, and Reporting Services projects. If you don’t use these features, you could not install it.

Thanks.

Thursday, April 8, 2010 3:01 AM
  • I haven't installed Visual Studio at all. I don't need it on production server. I havent installed integration services, reporting services I only installed Database component.

So in general I have the following:

1. database component + Management tools complete and without business intelligence = .NET runtime errors in event viewer. ngen gives failed dependences errors if I run it against dlls mentioned in errors.
    2. database component + Management tools basic and without business intelligence  = there are no errors in event viewer.
    3. database component + Management tools complete and with business intelligence  = it seems that there are no .NET errors in such combination. But I can see a lot of warnings about various projects installation during business intelligence installation.

So my main question would be - is it possible to have only database component + management tools complete and to live without these .NET errors?

Thursday, April 8, 2010 6:47 AM
  • Hi,

To troubleshoot the issue, I'd like to collect the setup log files that are located in the %Program files%\Microsoft sql server\100\Setup bootstrap\Log\ folder. Once you collect the file, you can first send me an email at sqltnsp_at_microsoft_dot_com with the thread link. Then I will reply you via email to let you know how to upload the  files to us.

Thanks.

Thursday, April 8, 2010 9:45 AM
  • Hi,

I’ve received your log files yesterday. I researched the log files and didn’t find any error during the SQL Server installation, except for the reboot request, as follows:
    Instance MSSQLSERVER overall summary:
      Final result:                  Passed but reboot required, see logs for details
      Exit code (Decimal):           3010
      Exit message:                  Passed but reboot required, see logs for details
      Start time:                    2010-04-06 15:14:36
      End time:                      2010-04-06 15:18:06
      Requested action:              Patch

It indicates that you need to reboot your machine to complete the patch installation. To In order to prove it, you may check FileRenameOperations registry key. It should have the value there. If so, please reboot the machine again. If the same error still occurs in the event log, try to reinstall the Service Pack 1.

If there are any more problems, please let me know.
    Thanks.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 3:00 AM
  • Sorry, but I do not think that you are right with reboot thing. I rebooted server few times after Sp1 installation. and on every server restart I had this error. This error dissapeared only when I uninstalled Management tools complete and left only Management tools basic. The registry key is empty.

Right now I'm in courses. But after one week I'll try to take new virtual machine and I'll try to to clean installations in there. I'll report about results. As for now I think that I'll have the same error and then:) But time will show.

Thursday, April 22, 2010 6:11 AM
  • Hi,

You may consider contacting Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) to open a case,  which should be the best way to identify the root cause of this issue I think.

If there are any more problems, please let me know.
    Thanks.

Monday, April 26, 2010 2:14 AM